44) Voice

If all Chauhan men were stubborn, these Chauhan women were no less

Their need for perfection would one day make Shreya run for the hills, but until the day didn't arrive, she had to nod and follow whatever was expected of her.

"...the caterer has been contacted and we have pushed the appointment to a later date, Ma'am." Dhwani's assistant looked sleep-deprived, hungry, and exhausted to the level of collapsing but the poor soul kept her lips shut for any complaints, hands scribbling on the notepad, and her head nodding.

It could fall off her neck anytime now.

"Poor soul." Shreya pitied her.

24 hours back, what she was once putting together was now being dismantled. She and Dhwani had put so much effort into waving this event together but now, the chances of it taking place in another week were bleak.

"What about the mails, Shreya?" Rashi Chauhan's obsidian eyes were razor sharp as they demanded her to answer as expected.

"All sent, Mom." She quipped glancing at the AI tool loading at 97% as it auto-sent 500 emails to their guests. Business partners, investors, board of directors, politicians, movie stars, and rival businessmen were invited to the birthday party of Anirudh Chauhan, a cover for the announcement of the next Chairman of Chauhan incorporations. While it was crystal clear to the business world who held the reigns of this multi-national conglomerate, a formal event was a necessity for these rich moguls.

Shreya would have been so happy to hear the same from an email. But, you often don't get what you wished for.

100% - Task completed.

She breathed a sigh of relief and glanced around the gala hall in the global center, it was getting torn off the decorations like a new bride shedding her accessories.

Luckily, no transitional makeup was included here, which brought out the reality and traumatized any groom.

"Dhwani took so much effort in pulling this off." Rashi Chauhan recollected with a pensive smile, the mask of indifference shed and Shreya saw a glimmer of worry in the composed façade this enigmatic woman maintained for the world.

She crossed the distance between them.

"She did and she will do this all again." Shreya placed her head against her shoulder from behind, smiling for her soon to be mother-in-law. "This was her proud day. She took extra efforts to plan the smallest detail for her husband."

"It was supposed to be a special day for my children." Did she hear her voice cracking?

"Mom" Shreya walked and faced her, holding her palms and squeezing them in comfort. "She is doing well. Rakshit informed us, remember? She is out of danger and will be awake in a few hours. Luckily, her concussions aren't sticky. Don't worry, she is a fighter. Did you hear how she saved all the kids? She is no less than a superwoman."