The New Recruits

"Attention all troops!"

          Commander Shadis's voice echoes throughout the courtyard, bringing every scout within earshot to attention. I stand behind Squad Leader Flagon, my arms folded behind my back and my eyes fixed on the three strangers standing beside the commander. The young girl looks excited, confident even. Her wide, blue eyes are sparkling. The taller of the two guys is smiling genially at us, his eyes clouded, not betraying anything. The shorter of the two, however, looks uninterested, his dark eyes half open in the daylight. I gaze up at them, my mind working through the many reasons for them being here.

          "From this day forward," Commander Shadis begins, "these three new recruits that you see standing before you are our new comrades. They will be fighting alongside us!" He glances at them. "Alright, go on and introduce yourselves," he tells them.

          "New recruits? I thought the trainees weren't scheduled to be choosing a branch until next year," I whisper to Flagon, leaning forward. He does not reply, but I catch a glimpse of his face before leaning back again. His eyes are narrowed, and his lips are pulled down at both corners in a deep scowl. I stare at the back of Flagon's head, pondering over why he is so upset.

          The shorter of the two guys glances away for a moment, almost glaring at something. I follow his eyes to where Erwin is standing, and I wonder what he has to do with this. Knowing Erwin, he probably knows exactly why these three are here. He's more than likely behind their mysterious appearance. The newbie turns back to us and mutters, "The name's Levi." His eyes are narrowed, and his dark brows are scrunched together. He looks deeply unhappy, his mouth set in a deep frown.

          A collective gasp rises up from the troops, and there are curious whispers between many of the soldiers.

          Commander Shadis turns to Levi and says, "Levi...the first thing we'll beat into you is some goddamn discipline. Next!"

          The young girl steps forward, raising her chin up. A confident smirk is plastered on her face. She points to herself with her thumb. "Isabel Magnolia! Nice to meet ya!"

          The taller of the two guys attempts a salute, but his hand is upside down. I giggle softly as he introduces himself, "I'm Farlan Church!"

          "Flagon, these three will be assigned to your squad. You're in charge of them. Look after them," Shadis says, glancing at Flagon and me. I start to smile, when Flagon's breath catches in his throat.

          "M-My squad, sir?" he gasps.

          "Is there a problem?" Shadis inquires, raising an eyebrow.

          I eye Flagon carefully, listening closely for his reply.

          "N-No...I just thought that they would be assigned to Erwin's squad," my Squad Leader replies, glancing at Erwin, who doesn't so much as bat an eyelash.

          "Erwin is tasked with the soldiers' new formation for the upcoming expedition. The new recruits will be your responsibility. Is that understood?"

          Flagon salutes the Commander. "Yes, sir! Understood!"

          I see the scowl on his face, and the discontent in his eyes. He may understand, but he's not happy about it, I think to myself. I glance back up at the three new recruits, and my heart skips a beat. A pair of dark eyes are fixated on me. I stare back at Levi, holding his gaze. His face is expressionless now, and it is hard to read him. His gaze is unsettling though, and I feel my heart start to beat a little faster. Who are these people?