Practice Makes Perfect

Verena's POV

          "You need to stand up now."

          I fold my arms over my chest and shake my head. "No, I'm tired."

          "That's a shitty excuse. Now stand up," Levi orders firmly.

          I look up at him defiantly. For the last few days, I have been practicing with the prosthetic- taking walks around the base, walking up stairs, and I even tried to jog once as well. None of which was without difficulty. I am starting to think that I will never be able to walk again. Levi has been by my side every day, making sure I do the exercises, pushing me to go a step further. I'm grateful for the help, but Levi can be a hardass sometimes. "No, I said I'm tired," I say, repeating my excuse.

          Levi lets out a frustrated sigh and leans closer. "Verena..." He has that warning tone now, and I know that if I continue to defy him, he'll get angry.

          I roll my eyes. "Fine, fine." Pushing myself off the bed, I stand up. I hesitate before putting weight on the prosthetic. For a moment, I am standing up straight, but then I try to take a step forward, and I begin to wobble. Suddenly, I am pitched forward, falling face-first towards the floor. Before I know it, Levi is there, grabbing me. His arms are wrapped tightly around me as he steadies me. Once I am back on my feet, he takes a step back, still gripping my arms. I look up into his eyes, and he gazes down at me. For a long moment, we just stand there, gazing at each other without a word. I can feel his warm breath, and I am very aware of my hand on his chest. I can feel the muscles beneath his thin, white shirt, and my mind begins to wander. Heat rushes to my cheeks, and I know I am blushing. Levi seems to realize that he is still holding me and finally lets go. Stepping back, he watches me carefully, making sure I do not fall again. Then, when it is clear that I am stable again, he walks over to the door and turns to face me.

          "Walk to me," he says, motioning to come there.

          I pause, taking a deep, shaky breath. Tentatively, I take a small step with the prosthetic. I am hesitant as I continue to take small steps toward Levi. My heart is pounding in my chest, and I am shaking. My eyes are glued to the floor, watching every step I take carefully. I can feel Levi's dark gaze on me as I move slowly across the floor. He doesn't say a word. When I am almost to the door, I look up and meet his gaze, stopping.

          "Come on. Don't stop, Verena. You're so close." He's trying to be encouraging, and it makes me smile. Without saying a word, I take the last few steps, closing the gap between us. Levi reaches out and grabs my shoulders. "There. See? You did it."

          I smile proudly. "Now what?" I ask.

          "Now, we go into the hall and head for the garden. Just like yesterday."

          I feel apprehension grow inside me. Yesterday did not go so well, and we had to turn around at the stairs. Levi can see the worried expression on my face, and he attempts to reassure me, "Doubting yourself won't help. You can do this." I nod, feeling anxious.

          The door clicks shut behind us as we return to the room. Levi helps me back over to the bed, and I plop down on it with a sigh. Putting my head in my hands, I groan, "I'm never going to be able to walk again."

          "You can. You just need to stop doubting yourself," Levi says.

          I shake my head. "No, that's not it. I just can't!"

          "Well, if you're going to keep thinking that way, then you're right, you're never going to walk again!" he shouts.

          Startled, I look up. Levi's eyes are narrowed at me, and I can see rage ablaze in them. I had seen him angry before, but this was different...This was anger, but it was also pain. Without another word, Levi whips around and heads out of the room. The door slams shut behind him, making me jump. I stare at the door, speechless.