Beyond the Walls

Levi's POV

          We race through the gate, surrounded by cool shadows. The horses' hooves pounding on the stone as they run out towards the world beyond the walls. I glance up and instead of stone bricks above my head, I see the protruding stalactites that hung above our heads in the Underground. I suddenly feel like I am back down there, in the shadows. Then, without warning, the bricks give way to blinding sunlight, and I have to squint. At first, I cannot really see anything, but then, all at once, a vast expanse of blue opens up above me. Fluffy, white clouds float lazily across the sky as we ride across the land. All around me, green fields roll out towards the horizons, tall trees huddling in clusters here and there. Sunlight beams down on us. A few birds pass overhead, and one lets out a loud cry. I glance at Isabel and Farlan. They are gazing up at the sky in wonder and amazement, their eyes wide. A large smile spreads across Isabel's face, her cheeks growing rosy.

          "Wow!" she exclaims.

          "Yeah," I mumble, turning my gaze back to the sky, "Not bad."

          After a few moments of amazed silence, Farlan sighs. "This isn't good. We actually went outside the walls. According to our plan, we were supposed to have that thing by now, but...I wonder where Erwin's hiding it."

          "Well, don't worry about the titans. I'll take care of them," I say, glancing over at him.

          "But, even you can't handle all of them-"

         "Do you not trust me?" I ask with a bit of an edge in my voice, interrupting him.

          Farlan narrows his eyes, a bead of sweat running down the side of his face. "No...That's not it..."

          Isabel giggles. "Farlan's scared!" she taunts, grinning at him.

          "Hey!" Farlan wheels around to face her. "Who's scared?!"

          "Leave it to us, Farlan! Killing those titans should be as easy as swatting a couple of flies!" Isabel smiles wide at him.

          "Idiot! Quit screwing around!" a familiar voice calls to us. We glance over our shoulders at our other squad member, Sayram. His eyes are narrowed at us. "The titans you're so optimistic about aren't so sweet! You're only able to talk like that because you've never seen one before. Just remember how many excellent soldiers have been devoured by them! You Underground thugs...Don't get so cocky!"

          "Hey..." Sayram looks at Isabel as she talks, "You say that but...If I manage to take down a titan, it'd mean those guys couldn't even amount to some thug."

          Sayram's expression suddenly changes. His cheeks become a little red, and he looks like he's about to snap. "Wh-What did you just say?! You...!" Sayram yanks on the reins, turning his steed toward Isabel's, and starts for her.

          "Tch.." I pull back on the reins, slowing down, putting myself between Isabel and Sayram. I glare at him.

          He pulls back, giving me a furious look. "What the hell do you want?"

          Out of the corner of my eye, I see Flagon racing up to match our paces. "Enough, Sayram!" he shouts, getting the young soldier's attention.

          Sayram turns to our Squad Leader, a little shocked. "But...Squad Leader-"

          "Just calm down and focus on staying the new formation we've been practicing! There's no telling when the titans will appear, so don't break formation! There's a difference between practice and the real thing after all." Flagon looks a little worried, his eyes filled with nervousness. Sayram grumbles something under his breath, unhappy about being berated. I ride ahead a little bit, my back to Sayram and Flagon.