Promotions and Benefits

Verena's POV

          "Since you were Flagon's Senior Team Leader, the position of Squad Leader falls to you. I have no objections. Does anyone have any objections to this?"

          I stand in the meeting room, my fists clenched at my sides. Commander Shadis sits at the table in front of me with the three remaining Squad Leaders- Erwin, Arlo Barringer, a man with a quiet disposition, and Ethen Cadwell, a soldier I have little knowledge of.

          Ethen glances at me and shakes his head. "None here."

          "No," Arlo mumbles.

          "No, Commander," Erwin says, flashing me a quick smile.

          I do not smile back though, too nervous to even move.

          Commander Shadis' gaze meets mine. "Well, there you have it. Congratulations, Verena. You're now a Squad Leader."

          Knocking on the door, I wait patiently outside one of the many buildings that make up the barracks. Finally, the door creaks open, and I smile. Levi stares at me, looking slightly irritated. He's wearing a cloth over his nose and mouth, and another is tied around his head. He's got a broom in his left hand..

          "Cleaning?"

          "Yes. What did you want?" he asks, getting straight to the point.

          I step around him and into the building. Inside, the bunks have been made, and all the trash has been picked up. The windows have clearly been washed, and everything seems to have been dusted as well. "Wow. Could you do my building, too?" I say jokingly. He doesn't reply. All I get as a response is the sound of the door clicking shut.

          "Aren't you supposed to be in a meeting?" Levi walks around me and begins to sweep under a few bunks.

          "I was. It just finished."

          "Bad news?" he inquires, not even looking at me.

          I smile wide. "No, really good news actually." I pause for a moment, and when he doesn't say anything, I decide to just come out with it, "I've been promoted to Squad Leader."

          He stops sweeping and looks up at me finally. "You're the new Squad Leader? Does that mean I'm your subordinate?"

          "Well, yes...But I get to choose my replacement, and I already have someone in mind."

          "Is it one of the new recruits that are coming in a couple days? I overheard Hanji talking about them. Apparently they're 'very promising'."

          I step closer to him, leaning on the bunk. "No, not one of the new recruits."

          "Who, then?"

          "You, of course!" I exclaim happily.

          "No thanks."

          "Oh, come on, Levi! You'd be a perfect Senior Team Leader. Besides, I want someone I know I can trust to watch my back."

          Levi stops sweeping and raises an eyebrow at me. "We've known each other for a little under two months and we've been on one expedition together- which, if I might add, went horribly and is the reason for your being promoted- and you say you can trust me to watch your back?"

          I wince at his comment about the expedition, but I try to ignore it. I have grieved Flagon's death, but the pain of his death was still fresh, and I didn't like to think about it. I almost couldn't face his family when I presented his cloak to them. I've never seen so much sadness in such a small group of people. Putting the thought in the back of my mind, I insist, "You're a great soldier, and you're very skilled. If you were my second-in-command, I know that I would be heading out with peace of mind every expedition. Please, Levi."