No More Holding Back

Levi's POV

          I stare at her in disbelief. Shaking my head slightly, I say, "You're not serious, are you?"

          She nods. "Yes, I am. I'm ready to go back."

          "Going back is fine, but going out on an expedition? That's foolish," I tell her.

         "What do you mean? You don't think I'm capable of going out on an expedition?" She narrows her eyes, growing defensive.

          I hesitate. I believe she is capable of it, but I just don't want her to. Before the accident, it was already extremely dangerous for her to go beyond the walls, but now... I don't want to lose her. I can't lose her. I shake my head again. "It's not that. I just don't think it's a good idea. You just got used to the prosthetic."

         "Yes, and now I'm eager to actually use it. So I'm going on this expedition."

          "No, you're not," I say coolly.

          She stands, glaring down at me. "Yes, I am."

          I stand up, meeting her gaze. She looks up at me, green eyes narrowed in anger. "Verena, don't do this. You don't know what you're doing."

          "I know exactly what I'm doing. Levi, you can't stop me, and you're not going to change my mind, so stop trying," she hisses.

         Rage boils up inside of me, and I am reminded of how I tried to convince Isabel and Farlan to stay behind. They should have listened to me, and Verena should, too. Clenching my fists tightly, I step closer to her and growl, "Fine. If you're not going to listen to me, then I'm not going to waste my breath." Without another word, I whip around and head for the door. She barely has time to open her mouth before I slip out of the room, slamming the door behind me.

Verena's POV

          I wince as the door slams shut, feeling angry and hurt. Why is he getting so upset? Sighing, I slump back down on the bed. Glancing down at my new uniform, I grab the green cloak off of the top of the pile. My fingers run over the emblem on the back. The Wings of Freedom...

          "Mama!"

          I leap into mama's arms as she walks in through the door. She cradles me against her, holding me close. "I've missed you, my little raven," she says, rubbing her nose against mine.

          I giggle as she bends down to let me go. "I've missed you too, mama." I stand in front of her, smiling wide. Her deep green eyes are shining as she smiles back at me. She ruffles my hair, and I quickly try to fix it.

          "I see you wore your hair down today," she notes.

          "I don't like pigtails anymore."

          "And why not?"

          "They're too childish," I explain.

          "Oh, I see. You're too grown up for pigtails now." I give an affirmative nod. "When did my little raven grow up so fast?" She gently pinches my cheeks, making me giggle again.

         "Mama, can I wear your cape?" I ask, grabbing at the green fabric draped over her shoulders.

          Mama slips it off of her and hands it to me. "Yes, you can, but it's not a cape, Verena. It's a cloak," she tells me, correcting.