Running Errands

Verena's POV

          The sound of heavy footsteps outside my door is what wakes me. I pull the blankets tighter around me, shrinking into the mattress. The bedroom door swings open, and candlelight pools in from the hall. A hulking silhouette steps into the doorway. blocking out most of the light.

          "Verena...I know you're awake."

          I shudder at my father's slurred voice, and I know he's been drinking again. I don't make a sound, fearful of what he might do. Squeezing my eyes shut tight, I will him to go away, to leave me alone. There's a long moment of silence, and I hear muffled footsteps. I start to think that he's left when a large hand suddenly grabs my short, ragger hair, pulling me out of bed. I scream and cry as my father drags me across the wooden floor. I kick and squirm, struggling to break free, but he's got a tight hold on my hair, and he's not letting go anytime soon. "Papa! Please stop! That hurts!" I sob, pleading with him.

          "Shut your damn mouth!"

          "Papa!"

          With much force, he drags me into the hall and slams me against the wall. Holding my head up, he forces me to look at him. "What did I just say?" he growls, leaning in close. I can smell his bad breath, and I try not to gag.

          "Papa...Please stop...It hurts," I whimper.

          "Stop whining." He raises his fist above his head, and I let out a frightful scream.

          I awake with a scream, bolting up in bed. I glance around the room, recognizing my sleeping quarters in the officers' building, and I let out a sigh of relief. "It was just a nightmare, Verena. No need to be scared," I mumble to myself. However, the nightmare is still fresh in my mind, and I can't get the image of my father's furious face out of my head. I swallow hard.

          A cool sweat has collected on my skin, making me shiver. Slowly, I clamber out of bed and over to the open window. Peeking out, I can see the stars above. They twinkle in the sea of dark blue. Smiling softly, I close the window and quickly slip back into bed. I pull the blankets tighter around me, curling up on the mattress. "No more nightmares. You have some errands to run tomorrow, and you need your sleep." My eyes close reluctantly, and I try not to think about my nightmare as I slip back into unconsciousness.

                                                                                                ***

          The next day, I slip into my uniform and head out for the day. It's been five months since the last expedition. Markus and Hanna are still in my squad, but we haven't gotten any new recruits, so it is just us and Levi for now. I don't mind it. I actually prefer having a smaller squad. I know it may seem horrible, but the less lives that I have to feel responsible for, the better. Levi and I have grown closer. He still seems to be holding back, reluctant to admit that we've become friends, but he does trust me more and that's a start. Recently, I've found myself drawn to him, but I refuse to give into that attraction. I'm a soldier, and soldiers can't fall in love. There's too much pain in it. Besides, we haven't known each other that long. There is no way I could love Levi...Is there?

          Shaking my head, I try to clear my thoughts, and I head over to the stables where a familiar face is waiting for me. Levi looks up as I come up to the stall where Shasta is waiting patiently. He is holding the large saddle bags that will be used to carry the supplies we buy today. "You look exhausted," he comments as I open the stall door.