CHAPTER 25

DEVEN SINGH RAJPUT'S POV:

Click. Clack.click.clack....

".......sir this is the eight time in the last six months that we have suffered the loss of our raw materials that too at such a big scale . All the check compliances which were required were performed. The gps systems were working perfectly, the drivers were in great shape. But somehow suddenly we lost the gps signals and when we got it back it showed some far off place from the main route. On closer investigation we found the drivers unconscious at the same place where we lost the signal and when we went to that off track location looking for trucks, we found them smashed and our goods reduced to the value of saw and dust."

Saw and dust.

It was not only those materials, even my heart, my mind, my peace.....every fucking thing, since I had walked out through her door two weeks ago seems to have been reduced to saw and dust. Except for her face in my mind, the warmth of her body in every cell of my body, the sweetness of her taste in my mouth and her hair clutch in my hand.

"Rayan get me the entire gps records for those vehicles. Compensate the drivers if they are injured and get the special team to look into the matter. I will see what I need to do."

Rubbing my face with my left hand, my eyes drifted back to the light blue coloured clutch tightly held in the other one. It was this tangible piece of plastic which has been keeping me sane enough to go through the motions of life. For the past two weeks my office has been my home and coffee the only thing fueling my body. I even had to order new coffee machines for the staff cafeteria and one for my personal use since I broke the common one by thumping it too badly as a result of sheer frustration. Every time I try to sleep, I close my eyes with the picture of glossy dark chocolate eyes roaming my mind and open them to the memories of them brimming with tears.

Yes, I'm a prince if I want, I could stop and change everything which is holding me back from offering Adhweta the commitment, confessions, flowers, the moon or sun or whatever the heck it will take for her to jerk her head in that defiant way of hers and say "You'll do."

Just this mere thought had the corners of my lips twitching up to form a smile. But then my eyes went back to the clutch in my hand and the tiny embers of warmth which seemed to have glowed up at my previous thoughts, seemed to have been doused by the cold water of reality. Had it been only about me, the matter would have been arranged as I pleased but there was more on the line.

Flashback:

"Deven"

"Deven"

"Mr. Deven Rajput. Get up right now."

The loud voice jolted me awake with a start causing a sharp ache between my eyes. Rubbing away the sleep from my eyes, I took in the colourful bulletin boards stapled with drawings and charts on the left and right walls of the room and numerous eyes which were pinned on me. And when I finally looked ahead of me, a belt buckle holding up a pair of crisp formal pants came into my view following which I took in the gravelly disapproving form of my teacher who seemed to be reigning in his anger by the last thread.

"Stand up. I said stand up!"

"This is a classroom not your bedroom and I am teaching you an important lesson, not singing a lullaby for you to sleep."

Bristling with anger, he walked back to his desk and picked up the long stick kept on top of it and gestured at me to come forward.

Looking down, I released a long sigh and prepared myself for the inevitable.