Chapter 38

Talia woke to the sound of Matthew talking and froze for a split second at the feel of the warm body pressed against her back. Ragnar. It has taken her a moment to remember. After their conversation, she'd fallen asleep, and judging by the sound of his breathing, he was still asleep.

She glanced at the clock on her nightstand and saw that it was almost time for dinner. She didn't want to move. Laying in his arms was heaven. They fit together perfectly.

Was she ready to have sex with him? To let him mark and mate with her? She wasn't sure, but like he said, there was no rush. She enjoyed just being with him, but she knew that now that he was her mate, she would feel the need to complete the mating process.

She had completed it with James the same day she had met him. How different and how much simpler life had been then. She'd been only a little over a year younger, but meeting him had set off a chain of events. Well, no, taking Jenna to Club Cambino had set off a chain of events.

Jenna had met Daniel that night and Talia had met James the next day. She'd had a year with him, and looking back, they had made the most of it. She'd gotten pregnant right away and given birth to Matthew. Then James had been ripped away from her, murdered by another pack for information about Jenna and her pup, Daniel's heir.

Talia brushed away a tear. Ragnar had entered her life the day of James's murder and hadn't left. She placed her hand on his. He'd become her best friend, and now he was her mate. This man, who had lived for over a millennium, was hers. He'd waited all of this time for her. She wouldn't keep him waiting much longer.

He squeezed her a bit, alerting her that he was awake and kissed her neck. "Hi."

She smiled. "Hi. It's almost dinner time."

"That's good because I'm starving," Ragnar said, though he still hadn't moved.

"This is nice," Talia said quietly. "Waking up with you."

"Mmm I agree."

She rolled over after a few moments until she was facing him and kissed him. He pulled her closer and deepened the kiss. He broke the kiss off after a moment, though he still held her close. "We should get up."

Talia nodded as he let her go. "I need to use the bathroom and change Matthew's diaper. "

"I'll take care of Matthew. You take care of you," Ragnar leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

"Sounds like a plan." They both rolled off the bed and Talia headed into the bathroom. She brushed out her hair and fixed her makeup, then walked back out to find Ragnar sitting in her rocking chair, holding a freshly changed Matthew.

"You ready?" He asked, looking up at her.

"Yes. I'm starving too," Talia admitted.

They left her room and saw Charlotte in the kitchen, wiping down the counter. "You guys headed to dinner?"

"We are," Talia told her.

"Hey," Cora walked out of her room, and gave them a half smile.

"Cora, are you ready?" Charlotte asked her.

Cora bit her lip and nodded.

"Where's Caleb?" Ragnar asked Charlotte as they boarded the elevator.

"He had some work to do in his office. He's meeting us in the dining room," Charlotte told him as the all got off the elevator and walked down the hall to the dining room.

Cora followed behind Talia and Ragnar. She found that she didn't mind Caleb and Charlotte. She had thought that since they used to be king and queen, they'd be a stuffy old couple. Instead they were both warm and welcoming and instantly made her feel at home.