Chapter 44

Cora walked into the room and saw her parents on their knees, their heads bowed. Her mother looked up.

"Cora!" She stood and hurried over to her, hugging Cora closely.

Her father stood as well. "May we speak to our daughter alone?"

"No you may not," Daniel responded, his gaze meeting Ragnar's

Cora watched her father grit his teeth, but he didn't say anything.

"Cora, we'd really like it if you came home with us," Jackie said. "I don't understand why you left in the first place. You missed your own mating ceremony. It was rather embarrassing for us."

"You told me I could find somewhere else to live if I didn't mate with Jasper," Cora reminded them. "I'm not coming home with you. This is my home now."

"But what about the Alpha's son?" Jackie asked her.

"I have told you over and over I will NOT mate that asshole," she felt Elijah squeeze her hand and her temper calmed down. Elijah had taught her how to mask her now much more powerful aura this morning, and she was afraid she might lose her grip on it. He'd said it would take some getting used to, but soon she wouldn't think twice about it unless she wanted to release it.

"Cora! How dare you speak about your Alpha that way?" Her father shouted as he walked towards her. Ragnar stopped him.

"He is not my Alpha. Not anymore," Cora said calmly.

"Cora, please come home. This has just been a huge misunderstanding. If you come home, everything can go back to the way it's supposed to be. You can beg Jasper for forgiveness and become his mate. We can hold the ceremony in a few days," Jackie pleaded with her.

Cora stared at the woman incredulously. No matter what she said, they seemed to have a one track mind and couldn't accept that she wouldn't do as she was told. "I am already mated! I will have no one but my fated mate."

Jackie stepped forward and brushed Cora's hair behind her shoulder. "You let him mark you?! You little whore!" She brought her hand up to slap Cora but Elijah caught it.

"Enough! Don't you dare hit the Royal Gamma Female unless you want to lose that arm," Elijah growled at her.

Daniel watched them both when Elijah referred to Cora as the Royal Gamma Female, and could have sworn he saw pride in her father's eyes, but it was gone so quickly, he couldn't be sure.

Jackie paled at his words, then glanced at Cora. "Cora," she pleaded.

"I'm done! I've had enough of your manipulative bullshit. You can tell Alpha Robert and his little bitch of a son that they can kiss my ass!" Cora shouted at them both, then turned around and left the room, slamming the door behind her.

Her parents stood there with their mouths hanging open, before John finally turned to Daniel. "Are you going to allow her to insult another Alpha like that?"

Daniel wanted to slap the man upside the head. "You do realize every member of my pack is higher ranked than an Alpha, right?"

John's mouth dropped open again.

"Close your mouth. You're leaking air from your brain," Daniel told him.

John's mouth snapped shut.

"I will not prohibit you two from coming here again, but you will only do so with Cora's permission. Until then, you may return home and be sure to give Alpha Robert and his son Cora's message. Tell him the Royal Gamma Female sends her regards. Now if you'll excuse us, we all have business to attend to. Miss Brianna is waiting to show you both to the door," Daniel said politely.