♤ TWO ♤

a few months later

THE BLADES CLASHED AGAINST EACH other as you and kenshi sparred. you countered his strike, the energy from the sword pushing him back a few feet. "..hm" kenshi hummed, a smile on his face. "you've improved a lot" he said, making you smile in return. "yeah, you too. though, i'm sure you're already a master, heh" you replied. "there's always room to improve" kenshi spoke. you nodded in agreement as the two of you walked over to johnny and kung lao, who watched raiden defeat the monks.

"wow, your hat!" you said, motioning to kung lao's new hat. "you like it? i still have to thank sub zero for the idea" he replied as he smiled. raiden walked over, also noticing the hat. "that is not a good idea" he said, crossing his arms. "it's very practical!" kung lao responded. "anyways..we really need to get on with this tournament bs. we've been here for months now" johnny butted in. "lord liu kang wants to make sure we're properly trained" you replied as you looked at the male. "i know, but i can't base a cinamatic universe on outworld if i don't ever see it."

"that's why you're here?" kenshi questioned. "liu kang said that this would change the arc of my life. plus, when my ex sees how successful i've gotten, she'll rue the day she gave up on me" johnny continued, making you cringe. "you're doing this to make your ex jealous??" you questioned. "oh trust me, if you saw her, you'd want to make her jealous too" he said as he pulled out his phone and showed you a picture of cris. "well- she is pretty" "damn straight!" "how'd you fumble that?" you teased. "woah, okay. johnny cage doesn't fumble" johnny replied, clearly offended.

"regardless, we all have our reasons for being here; some reasons are better than others" raiden said, glancing at johnny. "but we won't fight among ourselves. save that energy for the opponents."

a gong rung, getting the attention of all of you. "about damn time" johnny muttered as liu kang walked out. "today, one of you will be chosen to fight in the tournament" he spoke. "only one? wouldn't we have a better chance if it was all five of us?" you asked. "unfortunately, only the host realm has that advantage, and it's outworld's turn to host" liu kang explained. "ya know, i don't know why i never asked this, but what exactly is our record for this thing?" johnny asked, putting his hands on his hips.

"both earthrealm and outworld have been evenly matched for centuries. but outworld is slowly gaining strength" liu kang said. "do you admire outworld?" raiden asked. "i do; it is a place of beauty, wealth, and great knowledge" liu kang began to walk. "however, we don't have the same goals and beliefs. we only coexist peacefully because outworld respects our strength. should we show weakness.." he stopped in his tracks and looked at the five of you. "our rival will become our enemy."

'in other words..we'll no longer be able to live peacefully and they'll want to go to war..' you thought. "i will not lose, lord liu kang" kung lao said with a smile. "well, first you need to win the right to represent us" the god stated, taking a seat in a chair where a group of monks sat. "whoever outlasts the others will be chosen" he added.

everybody looked at each other. "let's just fight fair and not hold back, alright?" you said, a determined smile on your face. kenshi grinned, looking at johnny. "if i win, you give me sento" he said as johnny chuckled. "as if!" the actor replied. "raiden, y/n, step forward" liu kang said as the two of you did so, bowing to him. "the two of you will be up first. good luck and may the best combatant win" he said.

you and raiden grinned at each other as everybody else stepped off to the side. "i'll consider this our rematch from earlier" raiden stated. "ah, you want your redemption, raiden?" you queried as both of you got into your stances. "i'll glady oblige."