4 - I thought he was a psychopath...

"Hey!" Ember said, opening the front door to Elijah's cabin. "We came to check on yo—"

She broke off when her eyes landed on the couch.

Elijah was unconscious, sleeping soundlessly while he lay on the couch, and Luna was huddled with him under a blanket, lying slightly on top of him as she played with the folds of his shirt.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Max said, running up to Ember. "He hasn't hurt you, has he?"

He stopped beside her then, looking in the room with his brows arched.

Luna was still in the same position, currently ignoring them as she huddled closer, giggling.

Elijah sucked in a breath, now half-awake. "Stop moving, silly."

She listened, setting her head on his chest.

He just brushed his fingers through her hair. "Are you bored?"

She shook her head, smiling up at him.

He gave her an amused look, setting his cheek on her head, and she closed her eyes, smiling softly.

Max sucked in his lips at this odd sight, leaning against the door as Ember stood there, remaining still.

"Can I help you with something?" Elijah said then, making Ember stiffen. "Are you going to come in or are you just going to stand there?"

Luna parted her lashes, gazing up at him.

Ember stood there for a moment before stepping in the room, and Max followed, closing the door behind them.

Elijah gazed up at them as Luna snuggled closer, wrapping her arms around him.

He just set his hand on her back, rubbing slowly. "What did you need?"

"Oh, uhm..." Ember said, glancing at Max questioningly. "We got her a present... and... uhm."

Elijah smiled slightly. "Well? Are you going to give it to her?"

"You look a little preoccupied," Max said cynically.

Elijah spared him a glance before sitting up and bringing Luna with him.

She just clung on, and he let her.

"Look," Elijah said, wrapping the blanket around Luna. "I know you guys hate me for all that I have done, and you're allowed to, don't get me wrong. I've done bad things, I know. It's not that hard for me to imagine what I put you and Ember through, but still..." he said, gazing up at Ember, "I want to thank you guys."

Ember drew back, brows drawing together. "You? Thanking us?"

He just smiled. "Yes, thank you for taking care of Luna this whole time. When she needed a home, you gave it to her, so thank you."

Max stared for a moment. "Are you feeling okay?"

Elijah smirked. "Why?"

"You're a psychopath," Ember clarified. "You've killed countless humans and enchanted. Let alone you... brought demons back. And now you're thanking us which is something I don't think I'd ever hear come from your mouth."

He just sighed and patted Luna's back. "Can you get off to open your present?"

She shook her head. "Warm."

He rolled his eyes. "You're such a child."

"You love it," was her response.

"That you're clearly codependent?" Elijah said.

She nodded. "I'm clingy. Deal with it."

He laughed softly, letting her do her thing.

"Well..." Ember said, setting a small, wrapped box on the table. "Here you are. I guess you guys have... fun."

She and Max exchanged a look before making their way to the front door.

There's a sight I'd never thought I'd see, Max thought to Ember. Elijah... cuddling?

She was silent for a moment. I guess he does have a heart.

And they exited the house, leaving Elijah and Luna together.

He stared down at her for a moment before an evil smile crossed his face, and he tackled her, making her squeak when she collapsed back down onto the couch, giggling uncontrollably as he held her to him, smiling.