𝕴𝖌𝖓𝖎𝖘 𝖊𝖙 𝕾𝖚𝖑𝖕𝖍𝖚𝖗

"𝖂hat are you doing?" my voice was wary, but there was the faintest trace of amusement beneath my trepidation.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"You're teaching me how to cook?" he smiled and started grating the cheese. "We have chefs, Asfand."

"Sure but they'll just ruin the vibe."

I could almost hear my eyes rolling, could feel the heat of the blush creeping into my cheeks. My voice was melancholic and quiet when I asked. "And I have to be a part of this?"

"We're going to make it together. Come on, let's start grating the parmesan."

A pause weighed the thread between us until it felt like it would snap.

"It's not going to distract me."

"I wasn't intending to distract you," the metronomic sound of the hard parmesan against the metal teeth of the grater set a gentle percussion to my thoughts. I tried to think of something to distract me from this domestic scene. Me, standing at the counter with my hair tied back in a messy bun, Asfand with me, coming up behind me, trapping me against the counter. "You said you liked cheese. Get to work, Zee."

The grater continued with a steady beat. I ran my hand over the apron and resolved to pull my shit together. Thoughts died before they landed on my tongue and I cleared my throat to try again, hoping I could infuse my voice with strength that just wouldn't come. "Do you think they've won? Do you think they know?"

"Not until it's finalised. Taimoor was pretty clear about that," the chopping started in the background. I sighed and leaned my head against the cupboard as I watched Asfand with his hand expertly wrapped around the handle of a knife. I didn't know why that was so fucking sexy, but it was. "If you want to go back-"

Asfand's thumb lifted my chin, my focus still trapped on the counter until I was forced to meet his eyes. His long, steady exhale was the only sound between us. Concern etched between his brows. His gaze scoured my face - my flushed cheeks and glassy eyes, my lips that were set in a tense line.

"If it's all too much, do you want to take a step back?" he asked.

"No. I don't want to go back. Not when we've got so little time. Sara gave us the boat for a day and I want to enjoy this before we have to face the wolves."

"Whatever happens, I promise we'll handle it together," his words rang between us like he was waiting for them to settle into my head. "It's going to be okay."

I swallowed and tried to look away, but he wouldn't let me. He was taking up all the space in every one of my senses, and no matter how much I wanted to be sucked into a void, Asfand anchored me right here.

"You're right. I know you're right," I paused to take a deep breath, mustering up the courage. "I am having fun."

Asfand gasped theatrically. "No, you can't, that wasn't part of my plan."

My heart lit up with fireworks. "Okay Chef, what's next?"

We made steak, a beautiful filet mignon, with Brussels sprouts on the side. I was nervous about this. I didn't want to fuck it up. But Asfand didn't let me. It turned out a perfect medium rare. I hummed through every bite. We talked about our families. Well, he talked about his parents.

I didn't have much to say about mine.

As he got up from his seat, his dark eyes scanned the room briefly before halting... on the baby grand nestled in the corner. A fluttering filled my lower belly at the intensity of his stare, and I got up to wiggle my fingers over the keys.