𝕯𝖆𝖒𝖓𝖆𝖓𝖙 𝕼𝖚𝖔𝖉 𝕹𝖔𝖓 𝕴𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖊𝖌𝖚𝖓𝖙

"𝖅ee, darling. Come to me," the voice was fully audible now, raspy, full and thick. There was almost like an echo as it reverberated through the forest. Somewhere beyond the trees the sun was sinking, early twilight falling in the forest. The shadows deepened, a purplish cast tinting the snow. The birds quieted. Even if it seemed impossible, I was not going to let anything and anyone stand in my way. My pulse accelerated as strength flowed through my limbs and I forced my feet to move.

I hit the ground. My head connecting with a sharp rock, the pain immediate, as was the blurring of my vision and the loss of my consciousness.

My limbs were sluggish as I dragged myself towards his voice.

"Asfand, is that you?"

"It's okay, I'm here Zee," he called out, the voice unmistakably his. I would recognize it anywhere.

Tears gathered at the corners of my eyes as I hurried forward.

For a second, I simply took him in, drank in the sight of him and basked in the sheer magnetism of his presence. A few feet apart and I still felt it - the way the air crackled around us, the atmosphere heavier than it had ever been.

His eyes slowly moved over my form, blinking as he swallowed hard, a torrent of longing written on his face. My breath hitched as our gazes connected, an invisible tether irrevocably tying us together.

In that moment I knew.

I simply knew that this was what I'd been searching for my entire life. His absence was the reason for that restlessness that simmered in my blood for so long. And his presence...

His presence made my essence sing.

Without him, I was lost. With him, I was found again.
Instinct took over as I moved.

"It's really you," I whispered, true joy overtaking me. "I knew it was you," my lips tipped up in a smile as I heard him calling for me. My mouth was dry and parched.

I barely had any strength left.

"I'm here," he whispered, his voice deeply anguished.
So much so, it pulled at my soul, a melody that called to something deep within me. "And I'm not leaving. Ever."

He was there, then - my prince, pushing his way toward me. His face was stormy - anger, desperation and concern - warring for dominance over his features.

I knew exactly how he felt.

"You came, you're safe," the whisper made it past my lips, my lids heavy as I opened them and saw him in front of me - with his dark hair, brown eyes and lush lips. Were those bruises on his face? "Who did that to you..."

"I've got you darling, I have you," he rasped, bringing me to his body. "You're going to be safe. I'm taking you away from here," his words were spoken harshly against my hair.

I was fully on his lap now, nestled against his chest. I wanted to swim in the cool lake of his arms, to slip beneath the facade and into the darkness that lurked beneath.

His hands cupped my cheeks as he slowly drew back, his gaze searching my languid, barely present one. His body was a pillar of strength, his touch as comforting as it was invigorating. The only person whose embrace had ever felt like... home. Like true belonging.

"Tell me you're safe. Tell me they didn't do anything to you."

"They can't do anything to me," he growled before his lips were fitted to mine - his air traveling into my battered lungs and giving me a new chance of life. "Come on babe... just a few more steps."

My awareness was slowly slipping from me, and with no energy left, I slumped against him. "How are... guards... estate..."

Asfand's shoulders sagged. The anger that was visibly building in him fell away when he looked at me.