4

"See, I told you it would be good for your career." Alex gloats as he unlocks the door and holds it open for Henry, gesturing for him to go inside first with the only intention of getting to watch Henry's ass. He finds himself with a tilted head, biting his lip when Henry suddenly turns around, catching him red-handed.

"What are you doing?" Henry actually sounds shocked, which makes Alex laugh. He thought Henry would know him better by now.

"Watching that firm ass of yours." A wide grin spreads across Alex face, "you have a really great fucking ass."

"Oh lord..." Henry mutters and pinches the bridge of his nose. "it's been too long of a day for you to be a smartass, Alex." Theres a slight edge to Henry's voice, but nothing that really alarms Alex at first. He knows Henry tends to get hangry, and it's been a while since they have eaten. "And regarding my career, Alex, I was the one that started talking to her. I made the arrangement for the possibility of recording a single with her. You," Henry jabs his finger slightly agitated into Alex chest, "were the manager who was busy drinking shots with Jackson – whom you suddenly treated as a friend, which was very weird by the way."

Alex stares at Henry is utter disbelief. Where did that come from? How did he become this angry that fast? Alex had every intention of just letting Henry sulk in peace until he could get something to eat, but being accused of not doing his job, tends to set him off, so even though Alex knows better, he pushes back against the accusations.

"First of all," Alex retorts and pokes Henry in the chest, "I held my distance to you. As promised. Secondly, I figured it would be fun if Harry Styles thought Jackson was the one blushing underneath me backstage. Not you. Which means, I might not have been making deals for you at the party, but I most definitely had your damn back!"

Alex can see how Henry's skin on his chest and neck start to redden and he knows it means Henry is getting very agitated. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with a lack of food. Henry seems to be truly angry with him. "And why the hell are you trying to pick a fight with me, Henry? We just had this amazing night..." Alex doesn't mention their lovemaking, but it hangs in the air around them and Alex can see a slight change in Henry's eyes before he turns his back to Alex and walks into the bedroom.

"I'm going to sleep at my own apartment tonight." He says as he begins to collect some of his things.

"Your apartment?" Alex follows him into the bedroom watching in dread as Henry tosses stuff into a bag. "I thought you gave that place up."

"No, I kept it. I knew I would need it again."

Alex can feel the desperation of keeping Henry here take over. He yanks the bag out of Henry's hands and dumps its content out on the bed.

"No!" Alex shouts but not with anger. With fear. Sadness. Desperation. "You can't leave!"

"Alex," Henry's voice is strained. Like he is trying to hold back emotions he doesn't want Alex to see. "I need some time to be alone. Like you said, I need to decompress... and you..." Henry's voice cracks, but he regains the strength and turn to look at Alex before finishing the sentence and the look in his eyes almost scares Alex to death. It is cold and determined. "... You can be a lot, Alex. I just need some time away. Away from..."

"Me..." Alex interrupts with tears burning behind his eyes. Tears he cannot let fall right now. "You said it wasn't anything you couldn't handle... that... that... that you actually liked it..."

"I was wrong." Even Henry's eyes seem to be glistening with tears now and Alex realizes that this isn't Henry. Not really. It's the aftermath of them making love. He is sure of it. Henry opened up his heart for Alex, and now he is running away scared. Alex can't let him. If he lets him walk out that door, everything will fall apart, and Henry might never come back. He just knows it. But Henry is like a wounded bird. Alex has to be very careful not to smother it, so he can't tell Henry how he feels. Not now. Not when he is this close to walking out. Any display of affection – or love – will scare him off forever. Alex has to conceal his feelings for now.