From Foes to Flames-part 11

Chapter 11

Adeline

I scoop up a mouthful of the pasta and chew on it slowly, the flavour frills my mouth, and it tastes so amazing. My mum never cooked anything like this for me, I only got the scrappy bits leftover. I eat it so quickly that when I look up there is a shocked look spread across Matao's face. I finish the food and wait for Matao to finish eating. "Thank you that was amazing" I say politely as I pick up his plate and take it to the sink. I begin washing up the plates and sit them in the drying rack, I turn around to see if he is still sitting at the table. He's gone, I take a moment to listen to my surroundings and I hear the shower on upstairs. I want to stay but I know that I can't, I walk over to the door to see if he locked it again. He's left it unlocked and I think I remember seeing a ladder outside. I quietly make my way outside and walk to the side of the house where I find a ladder. Exactly where I thought I was. I stand it up and lean it against the roof where Matao's bedroom window is. I creep back inside and go upstairs. I take my things off the clothes hangers and pack them back into my bags. I hear the shower turn off and I lay under the doona in his bed. I lay there pretending to be asleep as I hear the bedroom door creak open, the room lights up and I feel Matao's eyes on me. I wait for his footsteps to disappears before I got up, I grabbed my bags and pulled the window open. I hooked my bags onto my arm and began to climb out the window. I froze quickly as I heard footsteps coming. A knock came from the other side of the door, and I stayed silent, with a sigh Matao walked away again. Once I was fully out of the window I sat down and shuffled towards the ladder. I flipped over and began climbing down slowly. I was about halfway down the ladder when my foot slipped, I gasped and grabbed the pole tighter. I regained my balance and continued down the pole. My car was still sitting in the driveway when I crept around to the driveway. I threw my stuff in and laid down. It was a bit uncomfortable after sleeping in Matao's comfy bed, but it will do. My eyes began drifting closed, but I was startled awake when my door was pulled open and a bag went over my head, I couldn't breathe, and my head began to spin. The world went black.