Moving to Auradon?

Esme

I am eating dinner. It’s super yummy. It’s a cheese wrap with beans and some berries. Mama works so hard, and I can tell she is super tired. I think dad was here, I could tell Mama is upset.

“Where is your food?”

“Oh, I’m okay, I’m not hungry,”

I shrug and continue eating.

*knock knock*

I saw Mama huff and got up to answer the door.

“Hello”

“Evie!” I hear Mama squeal.

Evie, Evie, where have I heard that?

“Hi, can I come in?”

“Yeah sure.”

A girl with blue hair steps through the door. She’s really pretty.

“Oh my gods, is this Esme? I haven’t seen you since you were 3”

“Esme this is Evie, she’s like your aunt”

“Hi,” I said shyly.

“You’re so big now” she coos, making me blush.

“She is. Time is going fast.”

“It is” Aunt Evie sighs, “Wow Esme that quesadilla looks good. Is it tasty?”

“Quesediya?”

“Your cheese wrap is also known as a ques-a-dilla,” Mama says.

My mouth forms into an “o” before responding, “Its yummy”

“Where’s yours?” Evie asks, Mama.

“Mama’s not hungry”

Evie gives my mom a weird look, but Mama shrugs it off,

“So not that I don’t love when you visit, but why are you here?” Mama asks politely.

“Well I have a proposition, I know you didn’t want to come to Auradon because…of certain reasons, but I made some changes so that you could come with Esme. Esme would go to Auradon Elementary, but she would stay with you in your dorm. You guys have your own dorm. You can still go to school, but you two can stay together at least.”

“Evie I don’t know what to say?” Mama says, tearing up.

“Say that you both will come. We all miss you so much, and Esme…”

“Yeah” Mama whispers, “Okay yeah, we’ll come”

“Okay great,”

Mama turns to me and crouches down, “Honey, we’re going to move to Auradon. Are you okay with that?”

“You mean we can go to Auradon!” I smile.

“Yeah,” she smiles, brushing a piece of hair out of my face.

“Yay”

So now I am packing a small bag

Evie

Tally goes to help Esme pack some of her things.

While they do that, I decide to look around. The little “apartment” is nicer. The Isle is looking better than when we used to be here.

There is a pull out couch by the wall, with an antenna box tv in front, and a little table near the couch. Besides, is the kitchen area with a small cabinet and there is nothing in it. Poor Tally. I know how hard she works, and it’s sad to see them like this. If I ever run into Hans, I better be sure to hurt him badly. A mini cooler is next to it, with some clean water inside. There is a counter in the middle with a single little burner that's unplugged, and a small sink is close by with a rag. The hall leads down, and there is a wash room with a little toilet, shower curtain with a nozzle for water, and a makeshift step stool to the sink. On top are two toothbrushes and a travel size amount of toothpaste and floss. The other room is Esme’s.

“Do you guys need any help?” I offer.

“Uh, no, I think we’re good”

Esme’s room is a pale pink with a bed in the corner with a fitted sheet and a cabinet. She has a small little bag, and I can see a bunny stuffed animal, her bedspread with butterflies and her blanket peaking out.

“Do you have anything?” I ask Tally.

She shakes her head, “Nope just this” gesturing to what she’s wearing. Gosh, I need to get both of them some help and materials. That’ll be one of the first things I do.

“Okay, well, I know this is short notice, but are you uh- both ready?”

“Yesss!’ Esme grins widely.

We make our way out of the apartment and to the limo.

“Hop in kids” I smirk.

Tally playfully rolls her eyes and helps Esme into the car seat I brought. The drive isn’t too long, and Tally and I notice that Esme has dozed off. Tally takes Esme’s bag and lays the blanket on her, placing a kiss on her forehead.

“You are so good with her” I compliment.

“Thank you…I hope I’m doing the right thing. Every day, I question if I’m really good enough”

“Why wouldn’t you? You have been there for her literally since the day she was born. You always give 110% every day. I don’t know how you do it and how you did it. You helped her through everything. She even calls you mom. You are the best person for her”

“Thanks E”

“You’re welcome”

“So where are we going? To Auradon Prep?”

“No, to my house. You two have a meeting with Jane and Fairy Godmother in the morning, so I thought I’d just drop you off.”

“Oh wow - you don’t have to-”

“It’s really the least I can do. I should have brought you two over sooner.”

“You have a lot on your plate. We manage”

“Do you? Because I saw your apartment. You don't eat because you have no food in your cabinet and all your possessions are the clothes on you. I also saw Hans walking home with wads of bills that I know you gave him.”

Tally looks away, but I grab her hands to make her look at me, “I know you have to be brave for Esme, but you can be real with me. I can’t imagine the struggle.”

“I worry that I’m not good enough because I don’t have anything. My mom walked out, and at 9 years old, I needed to step up. Dad couldn’t do anything. Luckily, in school, she is excelling. Her teacher tells me she’s very smart for her age. I had to drop out of school to make more money. Every day, I work two jobs to get money for food and rent, and then my father has the nerve to demand money. The money that doesn’t go to rent goes to food for Esme and anything she needs. But I can’t get her anything she wants. Christmas, I try to scrounge up something nicer to eat, and on her birthday, she gets a cupcake. I’m worried that I’m too busy working to pay attention to her. That I’ll be too busy with all my stuff to give her the love she needs and deserves.”

“Oh T, you have so much on your plate. But in reality, Esme seems like a very happy kid despite all that, so you must be doing something right. And Esme doesn’t need a big grand Christmas. She just needs love. And no one loves her more than you. Now, at Auradon she’ll get the education, friends, and experience and will have so many opportunities. And you will finally be able to get an education, make friends, and have a life outside. You always have her best interest at hand, and that girl” I smile, gesturing to the sleeping girl, “she loves you so so much.”

Doug

“Honey, I’m home”

I walk down the stairs to see Evie and a redhead with a strawberry blonde little girl sleeping on her shoulder.

“Hun, this is Tally, and Esme”

“Hi, I’m Doug, it’s a pleasure to meet you”