Chapter 6

Your lonesome footsteps padded softly against the sidewalk in the otherwise silent night as you made your journey from the lab to the dorm building.

You couldn't believe it! Your first mission, one you'll get to do all by yourself!

The whole concept of the mission was unfamiliar but you'd played plenty of stealth missions before, so why should this be any different?

You were sure handling a gun physically - compared to just playing a character where, Price's voice echoing in your head, all you had to do was aim and pull a trigger - was more difficult than it looked but part of that anxiety was able to transform itself into excitement for getting to learn how to shoot with John Price.

Besides, you already had better physical capabilities so maybe that also heightened other combat-related skills.

As you opened the door to your shared dorm with Robin, you were greeted with the sight of Robin and...some other person sitting on their bed together?

Robin perked up at the sound of your entrance and shot up, bounding over to you excitedly.

"This is Annette! She's an exchange student and it's my job to get her used to campus life!" They grinned, motioning to the girl.

Your eyebrows raised as a smile formed on your face.

"Where's she from?" You questioned, following Robin as they made their way back to the beds. Robin returned back to their spot and you took a seat on your bed.

"Norway," The girl responded in a thick Norwegian accent.

"She doesn't speak good English so I'm also gonna help her with her classes as a translator until the school can get her an official one."

You tilted your head.

"...Wait, Robin, you speak Norwegian?" You questioned with bewilderment.

"Enough to get by," They returned with a sheepish smile.

There was a pause.

"She's not supposed to be here this late; don't say shit." They suddenly pleaded with a low voice, making you snicker and look back at them with amusement.

"Don't worry, I won't spill~" You responded, a grin plastered on your face as you leaned back and got comfortable on your bed.

You looked at Annette, taking in her features: She had black hair that came down in a straight cut to her chin, which was right now pulled back in a messy bun with stray strands of hair poking out in every which direction, the left side of her head was completely shaved down to the skin.

She had brown eyes that looked almost doe-like, but there was a look in her eye that indicated she wasn't as innocent as she seemed.

You introduced yourself and she returned it with her own name and a smile, the two of you nodding respectively towards each other. After a moment, Annette muttered something in Robin's ear, likely something in Norwegian for them to translate for her.

"Oh right! She's a tech major and she said she saw that flier you had- from the testing stuff!"

You looked back at Annette with interest, "Really?" you asked. Robin nodded enthusiastically.

"She said she wanted to know more about it."

You glanced at Annette, who nodded in affirmation at Robin's statement.

You thought for a moment before deciding hey if she knew the material she'd at least have an idea about what you were talking about; why not?

"Well I think it's like a VR system," You started and she sat forward, listening intently. "I'm not sure how it works but I know it works really well. Since I've been testing it I've been playing in Call of Duty." You grinned, and she tilted her head in confusion.