Chapter 14

Everything is fine.

That's what you've been telling yourself for the past few hours, anyways.

Since Gaz walked you back to the barracks, you'd been sitting on your bed with your head in your hands and your thoughts running around your head like wild geese.

You decided to head to the track, since the time was rolling around to when you'd normally get up and get ready for the day.

The sun was barely rising on the horizon as you made the walk to the track, finding yourself isolated as you started up to a slow jog.

You were certain you'd be pulled from the game any moment now, though as much as you tried willing yourself to believe it you found the flickering flame of hope slowly fading out the longer you spent thinking about it.

You thought about the kisses you'd shared with both Gaz and Soap, feeling like you were slowly accumulating your own sort of reverse harem. There was no way either of them were actually that into you, right?

Even with the time you spent with them already you were certain none of them had known you long enough to develop feelings, and you found it hard to believe either of them would have chosen you to develop them for.

You sighed.

You were pulled from your straying thoughts by the sound of someone calling out your name, and you looked to see Ghost and Price approaching the track.

Neither of them were in the uniforms you were used to seeing, instead donning athletic tank tops and what looked to be comfy as hell cargo pants, the former also wearing a skull balaclava in place of the mask he wore on duty.

Your jaw damn near hit the floor as you slowed to a halt.

Ghost's tank top was a much smaller fit than Price's, and you tried to keep your gaze away from his voluptuous pecks. You could see just the most vague outline of Ghost's face under the fabric. With this change in mask, you could see his honestly probably permanently furrowed brows, giving his gaze a harsh look even as he watched Price, standing behind the Captain.

You could make out the slight crook in his nose, indicating that it had been broken at least once in his life; you wondered for a moment if it had occurred during his time in the military or before, maybe from childhood scuffles or teenage outbursts. You looked away before Ghost could catch you staring.

Yeah, you were certain some divine fate was doing this to you on purpose.

"Out for a morning jog, ay?" Price chuckled as he approached. "Don't usually see anyone out here this early unless it's for training."

"Yeah, I just needed to clear my head, y'know?"

You politely laughed in response, nodding slightly.

"Mind if we join you?"

"I don't see why not," You responded, your eyes flicking over to meet Ghost's for a moment. "Do you guys come out here often?" You asked as you resumed your jog and the two higher-ups started theirs.

Clearly Ghost had no intention of making conversation, quickly overtaking your pace and leaving you and the Captain in the dust.

You'd be lying if you said your eyes didn't drop to his ass for just a moment before returning your attention back to Price, who was fixing to answer.

"The Lieutenant has made it...a habit." Price chuckled as he nodded his head slightly towards Ghost.

Your eyebrows rose in interest.

"Captain, are you being held here against your will?" You questioned, making a slight smile form on his lips as he rolled his eyes. You leaned in, "If you are, blink twice really fast." you said in an overly dramatic whisper-yell. There was a beat before he looked at you, blinking twice in succession before the two of you started laughing. "Don't worry, I'll save you!"