Chapter 10

It was a very uneventful two real-world days between training with Ghost and now, where you stood waiting for Professor Jones once again. Your eyes were trained on the clock, watching the seconds tick by as you felt excitement fluttering in your chest.

You were particularly excited to work with Soap today for two reasons:

He wasn't going to work you as hard as Ghost did

(He's kinda cute-) You and him got along a whole lot better than you and Ghost did

So, when Professor Jones came to drag you back into the lab, you couldn't help the giddy smile that tugged at the corners of your lips. She shared a similar smile, and you wondered if she was going to share with you the reason for her upbeat stride.

"Your friend came by looking for a spot working in the lab," She mentioned and you looked at her. "The Norwegian one." She clarified.

Your face fell slightly. Annette? You'd hardly call her your friend.

"Did she get it?" You questioned, though it was answered quickly when the two of you stepped into the lab and you saw, sure enough, Annette sat at one of the tables wiring something that you assumed was for the project.

"She's been great so far! Isn't this great?" Professor Jones grinned before calling out Annette's name, pulling the girl's attention up to the two of you. When her eyes met with yours, there was almost a flicker of...malice? Before it was quickly replaced with a wide grin.

You cringed slightly, a strained "Yeah. Great." leaving you in a sigh as you watched Robin's not-girlfriend walk over to the two of you.

"How nice to see you here." Annette said to you, and you returned the comment with a polite smile and a nod of your head.

"She's going to oversee the whole system when we put you in so she can see how it works." Professor Jones explained, and you nodded slightly as she led you to the testing chamber.

You were sent into the game with an uneasy feeling, though that was mostly due to the mistrust you already had in Annette– you didn't want her in control of this kind of thing.

You woke up in the barracks at the usual time, joining the flurry of bustling soldiers in various states of readiness in the routine you had grown accustomed to in the last several days.

Soap had told you to meet him in the small indoor arena they used for team training most of the time, equipped with airsoft weapons and various other tools, with an interior design of an urban setting that had various standalone walls and windows. Other obstacles were strewn about the place to simulate the terrain it was modeled after, and you found yourself almost exploring the place as you walked in.

"Soap?" You called out as you looked around the walls. The place was otherwise empty, and you were almost concerned that you showed up before him. Well, he did have a track record of being 'fashionably late' so that didn't seem like a scenario that was too far out of the left park.

You walked through an archway that looked to be made out of brick, a soft click as you pulled a tripwire going almost unnoticed until a loud pop resonated through the air before you were suddenly splattered with a cold and viscous liquid.

You had tensed up, eyes squeezing shut at the sudden noise as a started yelp escaped your lips. As you slowly opened your eyes, you looked at what the fuck had just happened.

You seemed to be splattered with...paint? Bright green paint. You tried looking for the source of the sudden assault when you heard laughter, and then saw Soap walk out from behind a stack of barrels propped up against a wall near you.