Part 30~ Godfather

I dropped Hannah off at her car and waited until she was safely on her way before heading over to the hotel. After a brief conversation, I had determined that she hadn't seen much of the exchange. She had of course seen me put the man down, and had remarked upon that, but Henry and his escapades had been beyond her scope of vision. It took little from me to convince her fully that the others had simply run off after seeing me best the first.

I swiped my key card and stepped into my hotel room. Immediately I knew something was amiss. It was a feeling more than anything, that I wasn't alone. I let the door close quietly behind me as I crept into the sitting area.

A newspaper was resting on the coffee table. It had been opened to the society section where a story depicted the upcoming gala. My own image was on prominent display. It was a picture of me and Henry, shaking hands on the steps of a courthouse.

It had been taken soon after my acceptance into his firm. It was from two years before, however neither one of us had changed much since then. At least not in appearance. Not that it mattered much for Henry who would be forever caught in time as he currently was.

For myself, while my appearance hadn't changed much on the surface, the man inside me, the wolf inside me, we had little in common with the man in the photo. So much had happened these last few weeks. Did we even want the same things anymore? Share the same goals?

On the table beside the paper was an unopened bottle of whisky. The amber coloured liquor was dark and rich, the label on the bottle, black and gold. I recognized it at once as it was Henry's favourite brand.

I exhaled as I made my way to the bedroom. He had beat me here, and let himself in. I'd had the car and had come straight over, but he had made his way here first and apparently still had time to pick up a bottle of hooch along the way.

I found him in the bedroom. He was standing by the bed with one of my pillows in his hands. He had it pressed up to his face and his eyes were closed.

I frowned as I slipped off my suit jacket and hung it neatly in the closet, before loosening my necktie. "Why in gods name are you behaving so pervy Henry?"

I continued to undress. I pulled off my tie and began unbuttoning my dress shirt. I tossed it in the top portion of my suitcase. It would have to be laundered before Monday.

Henry opened his eyes and quietly regarded me. "Pervy?"

"Like a pervert."

He raised his eyebrow.

"A sexual deviant."

He frowned, clearly still not comprehending.

"For god's sake, you're smelling my pillow, Henry."

"Ah, yes. I am merely trying to determine who has been sharing your bed."

And you don't understand how creepy that is? I exhaled, giving up. This was my life. This was my actual fucking life.

I continued undressing. Hung up my slacks before heading to the bathroom for a shower. Henry silently followed.

"When I arrived here, I picked up the scent of a wolf. Obviously, I was concerned for your well being, considering what we are attempting to accomplish."

"Uh huh." I stepped into the shower. Tried to sound unconcerned, tried to ignore the gooseflesh that broke out across my skin. I dreaded where this conversation was heading. I turned on the water. Began to adjust the temperature.

"I soon realized that there were layers to the scent. To his scent. That he had been here on more than one occasion."

Dammit, Henry. Just let it go. I dropped my boxers and kicked them out of the shower before stepping under the spray. I didn't want to have this conversation. Not now. Maybe not ever. I had hoped the sound of the water would drown out Henry, perhaps even encourage him to find something else to occupy his time.