The Midnight Gala ~ Part 36

I was in my monkey suit and in the front lobby five minutes before the hour. I had gone with a classic black tux and a white shirt with a pleated front and a wing tip collar. My bow tie and vest were both black and my pocket square white. It was a look that I pulled off well with my dark hair and fair complexion.

Even so, while it might look like I was classically pulled together, underneath the surface, my stomach was a ball of nerves. It's only for a few hours. I kept telling myself. Just behave yourself. Smile and shake hands and before you know it, this'll all be over.

"August!"

I heard my name and the sound of high heels clacking hurriedly across the floor from behind me and turned to see Hannah. She was wearing a floor length black and white dress. The bodice was white and had one shoulder strap which was adorned with delicate flowers and crystals, and the skirt was black. At her waist, the flowers and crystals repeated where the colour changed.

"Wow." I smiled. "You look amazing. Really. Wow."

She smiled brightly and did a little spin for me. Her blond hair was done in an updo, and a few flowers were set into the twist.

"Not so bad yourself." She said with a smile. She held out her arm, finger extended, and as she twirled her wrist, I laughed and raised my hands out from my sides and did a turn of my own. "Nice. Very nice."

I offered her my arm. "Shall we be off?" She giggled and slipped her arm into mine, as we headed back the way she had come. "You got here ahead of me. Were you already inside?"

She shook her head. "Only as far as the coat check. I was waiting for you."

We passed through the first set of doors where the coat check was. Further up the hallway and to the right, a series of tables were set up. As we entered, a woman stepped up to greet us and ask for our invitations. From there she led us to one of the tables where there were boutonnières for the gentlemen and corsages for the ladies. The girl behind the table looked at the invitation she'd been handed, picked up a red rose for my lapel and stepped out from behind the table. To my left, another lady was pinning a corsage with a white rose on Hannah's dress.

"So, this is what you look like with clothes on." She said casually as she pinned the flower to my jacket.

I blinked and looked at the girl. I mean really looked at her. When I recognized her, I burst out laughing. She was the brunette I had met at the pool earlier.

"Excuse me!" Hannah erupted beside me. "Is that how you speak to your guests?"

I was still grinning. "Relax, Hannah. It's fine. I know her."

"Obviously," Hannah snapped, and stormed off down the hallway.

"Oops. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to get you in trouble with your girlfriend."

"My girlfriend? Yeah, no." I shook my head. "We're not together."

She raised her eyebrow at me skeptically. "Does she know that?"

"I mean, we're together in that she's, my date. But we're not dating. We're co-workers. It's a work thing."

"Uh-huh. Got it." She was smirking at me. She glanced at my invitation. "Well, have a nice evening August Shaw."

The ballroom beyond was spectacular. Two bars were located to our immediate right as we entered, one along each corner. Amongst the room, round tables seating eight were dressed in crisp white tablecloths and adorned with centerpieces of red roses. The ceiling above was a series of skylights, and the outside wall of the room was entirely glass. Beyond the glass was a wide patio where shallow steps led down to a pool and garden below.