Part 33~Lunch with Jonah

I turned off my phone. Caleb had texted but I wasn't ready to talk. I wasn't sure how to face him after running off the way I had, and I needed some space to think. I spent my time working out instead. I used the hotel gym, the pool and after dinner I had gone for an evening run.

I wasn't alone, however. Henry was shadowing me. Had been since my photo had made it into the paper on Monday. It was how he had been able to intervene when the thugs had come by to chat. Not that I'd seen hide nor hair of him. Or even smelt him on the breeze. Instead, I had sensed him or at least my wolf had on some primal level.

Sunday afternoon, after another sleepless night, I got a knock at the door. I'd been streaming a movie in the living room and hadn't been expecting anyone. I immediately closed the laptop to cut off the sound, and silently made my way to the balcony. I scanned the parking lot below for a blue pick-up truck and not seeing one, headed to the door feeling relieved.

I peeked through the spyglass and frowned as I released the swing bolt and pulled the door open. Jonah was standing there, dressed casually in chinos and a short-sleeve button down top which he wore open over a crew-neck shirt. He was smiling brightly at me, a pair of dark sunglasses in his hands.

"Hey, August."

I stepped into the hall to glance up and down the hallway before turning my attention back to him. He appeared to be alone. "Hey. What's up?"

"Not much. I thought perhaps, if you weren't too busy, maybe we could have lunch."

I looked at him skeptically. "Just the two of us?"

"Yup. Just you and me if that's okay."

I beckoned him in. "Sure, just let me throw on some clothes."

He followed me into the living room, but instead of taking a seat, he glanced around the room before heading towards the balcony. I moved on to the bedroom but didn't bother closing the doors. My suitcase sat just inside the doorway, and I took his lead by picking out a pair of navy chinos and a heather grey V-neck sweater.

"How'd you get away from your mate?" I asked him as I dressed.

He chuckled. "Believe it or not, he does allow me a bit of freedom."

"I think it's the first time I've ever seen you not together." It was true. Whenever I'd met them before they had always been a package deal.

"Yeah. I suppose we're closer than most since we live and work together as well." I stepped into the living room, and he shrugged. "We were best friends even before our pairing, it just feels natural to be with him."

Natural. I thought about that. Between Caleb and I it always felt like a hurricane, where I was at risk of being swept away, of losing myself if I didn't hold on to my autonomy. Would there ever come a time where it felt natural for us? Would we even get that far? Let's face it. I ran away from the mere idea that he was planning to have sex with me. If I couldn't handl—

"You ready?"

I started and Jonah chuckled. "Yeah, I thought I'd lost you there for a sec. Have you been getting enough sleep? You look dead on your feet. If you'd rather stay home and rest—"

I shook my head. "No. I'm good. It'll be nice to get out for a bit."

He smiled. "Okay, then. Shall we be on our way?"

He took us to the Texas Grill. It was a chain restaurant, that presented itself as a steakhouse, but like most, it had an assorted menu in order to appeal to all. I glanced at the entrée's trying to decide. I didn't think I could handle anything too heavy.