Torch Song

The silence in the dressing room was like the air just before a storm. Nina's sequinned dress did nothing to conceal the furious trembling of her limbs. "Did I hear you right?" she asked.

"Depends what you heard."

Nina took a deep breath. Her instinct was to scream obscenities, lash out blindly. But that wouldn't help her. She knew that she had to centre herself and take back some control of the situation before it got out out of hand. It took an effort to keep her speech slow and deliberate. "You said you're ditching me for - trading me in for -." Another deep breath. "For her."

Daryl had been with Nina for over fifteen years. They had grown up together in the slums, helping each other through the bad days. Then they had become lovers, holding and comforting each other when it had seemed impossible to go on. And now?

"What can I say, babe? She got her hooks in me real good." Daryl glanced over his shoulder, at the dressing room door. "And you know what? I don't care."

"What about us, then?"

Daryl sagged. "I'll move my stuff out tonight. After the show. The room will be all yours. I don't want to throw you out on the street." Daryl paused. "As for the rest - we'll sort that out tomorrow, okay? It'll be easier if we both take time to think things over."

"Tomorrow? And what about now?" Nina glared at Daryl, daring him to say something to provoke her.

"There's still the show to do. The tickets have been sold. If you walk out now, then somebody is going to have find the money for the refunds. Nobody is going to sit for that."

Nina thought on this, then stood up. "Get out, Daryl." She walked to the dressing room door, opened it. There was the sound of slippered feet running down the corridor, then nothing. The corridor was empty. "Just get out."

Daryl left without a word, closing the door behind him.

Nina stared at herself in the mirror. The harsh light from the bulbs set into the frame didn't do her reflection any favours. There was only one thing that Nina could do now.

The stage manager nodded at Nina as she climbed the stairs from the basement. "You alright, doll?" There was a note of genuine concern in his question.

Am I the last to know about this? Nina thought. "Sure. I'm fine." I have to be. "Just do me up, okay?" As the stage manager tugged up the zipper on her dress, Nina signalled to the band leader. "Ready when you are."

The band leader nodded and raised his hand. The band began to play Nina's tune.