Scents of Distant Earth

Captain Indira drifted down the zero-gee spine of the Ganesh, heading for the ship's agri-lab. The lab was located in the outermost of the starship's ring sections - plants, like humans, did better under acceleration approximating Earth's gravity - so when Indira came to the junction, she let the gentle push of centrifugal force ease her 'down' to her destination.

The captain was not happy. She had received a report form her first officer that one of the agri-lab staff, a technician named Wall, had been conducting unauthorised experiments. Captain Indira did not like that. She had run a tight ship since inheriting command ten years ago.

"Captain on deck!"

A few of the technicians - those not busy with assignments - acknowledged the captain's arrival. Indira looked around the lab, then fixed the nearest technician with a glare. "You! Where is Technician Wall?"

"Over there, ma'am." The technician pointed to a lab bench that was covered in seedling trays.

"Wall? Technician Wall?" the captain called out as she moved away from the drop tube.

Wall was young; possibly third-generation crew judging by her appearance, or so Captain Indira thought. She looked up, "Captain?"

"Technician Wall, I would like to speak to you. In private, if we may."

"Certainly."

Wall's cubby was a niche between two storage lockers. It was barely big enough for one person and a fold-down desk. A plastic curtain provided some measure of privacy. Captain Indira noted wit disapproval the printouts that lined the cubby's walls. Another violation of discipline.

"Technician Wall," the captain began. "It has been reported to me that you have been carrying out unauthorised activities in the agri-lab."

"Yes, ma'am." Wall's admission was surprisingly candid. "It's a personal project, but I thought there might be benefits to the mission."

"Really?" Indira decided that she would listen to what Wall had to say, before issuing a punishment. "Please explain."

"I took some seeds from the biodiversity banks and quickened them."

"And you did this because?"

"Two reason. The first was that I wanted to check that the seeds were still viable. That's only sensible. The second was ... ," Wall blushed, "personal."

"Personal?"

"Yes. Let me show you."

Wall left the cubby and came back a minute later, holding an Erlenmeyer flask. The flask was half-filled with a clear liquid, and a bouquet of white and yellow flowers protruded from the neck.

"Leucanthemum vulgare. the Dog Daisy." Wall lifted the flask to her nose. "They smell so good. Do you want to try?"

Captain Indira took the flask and inhaled deeply. A wave of organic smells flooded her nose, bringing back dim memories of summer days, blue skies and fields full of flowers. It was so different from the recycled, deodourised air that filled the Ganesh.

"Captain? Are you alright?" Wall asked.

Indira smiled and inhaled again.