Camouflage

"I've done it!" The triumphant shout echoed through the corridors of the research block. "I've done it!" Professor Grand announced as he burst into the faculty common room.

We turned as one to look at him. The professor was obviously excited about something, but, "What have you done, professor?"

"I have created the ultimate in camouflage!:

There was some muttering between the faculty members as they took in this titbit of information. Then, Doctor Herring rose to his feet. "The ultimate in camouflage? Can you tell us what that involves?"

Professor Grand nodded. "Oh yes. Of course. Now most - No! All! - camouflage relies on tricking the senses of the observer. Sight, hearing, that sort of thing. However, I have developed a form of camouflage that rather than affecting the senses of the observer, affects their very perceptions!"

Again there was some muttering. Then Doctor Herring spoke again. "So, rather than affecting a physical property of the object being camouflaged, you have developed a technique that affects the mental processes of the observer?"

"Yes!" The professor clapped his hands and danced a delighted jig. "That is exactly it! You see, by affecting the perception of the observer, I can render any object impossible to see. Or hear, or feel, or - !"

"And you are sure this new camouflage technique works?"

Professor Grand stared indignantly at Doctor Herring. "I am sure. I even have a working prototype in my laboratory to demonstrate my new camouflage principle. Come and have a look."

We hurried after the professor, through the hall and down to his laboratory. We were all eager to see what he had done. Professor Grand flung open the door to his workshop and gestured with a wild flourish. "There!"

We looked around, but there was nothing deserving of all the fuss. Doctor Herring coughed. "Professor - where is this demonstration of yours?"

The professor's expression turned from one of triumph to one off bewilderment. "Umm," he began, and started to fumble through the equipment scattered across the workbench. "I swear I put it down here ... ."