Chapter 27: Curtains down

"Lindiwe, you are really going to make me do this?" Tendai says as his face changes to that of wild beast with red eyes. His hand is on the switch. One touch from him, Lindiwe could take her last breath. But is that the risk he wants to take knowing if she dies he'll never get that file and he himself could be in a lot of trouble?
"Tendai, I beg you please don't do this" Buhle screams as tears fall down her face. She can't believe the man she thought was a good person is about to end her best friend's life and more than likey end hers too. She is hoping that he'd look her way but Tendai is dead focused on Lindiwe, doing
everything to avoid eye contact with Buhle, knowing how that would distract him. "MEC please, I beg you don’t do this" Lindiwe begs too as she's crying and terrified. She's starring the death in the face. Lerato is so traumatized at what she's witnessing that she can't utter a single word but she's
crying too. It doesn't look like Tendai is moved by any of the girls begging for mercy.
"But as he is about to switch the generator power on, a gunshot sounds outside which makes Tendai and his three men duck for cover. "What the hell was that?" he asked curiously as he looks up in the dark windows. He can't see anything. Another shot sounds and they duck again, including the girls.
Everyone is wondering what's happening here, who might that be. But as Tendai turns to the ladies trying to read if they know anything, a huge explosion burst through the steel door and a stun grenade goes off few meters from where the girls are sited. It is also so loud that everyone in the room hears their ears ringing. Two men in black military gear enter the hall, it is Ndoda and Sbu, Buhle's husband. Everyone is still oriented over the stun grenade but when Tendai realizes who the two men are, he goes and stands behind Lerato. He wants protection so he is using her as a human shield.
Ndoda shoots one man in the head while Sbu shoots another in the chest and they both go down. Ndoda lifts up his eyes and sees Tendai and he thinks I can take him. I will aim for his head. His finger is on the trigger; one squeeze will let fly the bullet that will end all this chaos. His eyes and posture is that of a focused man.
But just when he's about to pull the trigger, he drops his eyes and they meet Lerato's eyes. She is terrified with tears on her face. Both of their eyes are locked on one another, it looks like they are having a conversation. Tendai has Lerato's body cover his but his head is out in the open. Can he make this shot? What if he hits his girlfriend instead? But those very few seconds of doubt are
enough for Tendai's man, the one that wasn't shot to shoot Ndoda in chest as he loses focus. This makes Lerato scream through clothe that covers her mouth as she ducks for cover, which exposes
Tendai's body. Ndoda shoots him just below the chest before he goes face down to the floor.
Sbu shoots Tendai's man in the head and he goes down. All of this happened so fast that no one had any time to react effectively. Sbu comes closer towards the ladies as he sees that there is no one else is in the room. At the end of it all, five men are down- Tendai's three men, Tendai himself and Ndoda.
***

A week has passed since the ordeal at the warehouse. After the shootout, the ladies were taken to hospital for a checkup. The police took statements from each of them and Sbu. For one reason or the

other, it is a story that didn't make the headlines considering that there's an MEC involved. But this is the trauma that will live with them for a very long time. Now each of them is back in his own place, dealing with the aftermath.
"Hey girl we just came to check up on you, to see how you are doing" Buhle says as she sits down on the couch. She and Lindiwe have come to check on their friend Lerato who unfortunately lost her
boyfriend Ndoda who died on the scene during that shootout. "Yeah babe, we can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling right now and we just want you to know that we are here for you anytime you need us. Lindiwe says as she jumps in. They can see the pain in their friend's eyes, the
grief and sorrow she's feeling. They know they are alive today because of Ndoda.
"Thanks guys for coming" Lerato says with a low and sad voice. "Look, Ndoda had his many faults okay? But I'd like to believe that him coming to rescue us was his way of trying to atone for that. It was his way to redemption. He truly loved me, guys" as she starts to cry all over again as she is in anguish.
"I think I was a very good influence on him" she says as she wipes her tears. "He wanted to change and become better. And honestly I think that he was also the one man I truly loved, you know. There was something about him that won me over. He was genuine with me, I never felt insecure or unsafe with him. But now he's gone for good" the thought of that makes her start to cry again, to which her friends come over to sit next to her, each on the either side of her. "Shhhh...we know friend, It's going to be okay, alright?" Buhle says as she brushes her friend on the back. "I don't think so Buhle, it hurts so much" Lerato says with a trembling voice as she clings on Buhle and cries.
"Shhh...shhh...shhh, it's going to be okay babe I promise." Buhle says as she embraces her friend. The mood has turned really sour in here. A moment later they break the embrace as Lerato tries in vain to wipe the tears in her face. "Uhmm, any word on Tendai?" she asks as she tries to change the subject. But this suddenly makes the mood even worse.
"Uhmm, as far as we know, that bastard will live" Lindiwe says, much to Lerato's shock as suddenly panic and anxiety sets in. "Don't worry friend, he's under police guard at the hospital. He is going to jail for abduction and murder. They will lock him up for a very long time" she says as she brushes her friend's back. "What if he comes after us again?" Lerato asks anxiously but Lindiwe once again jumps in right quick, "No, no, no babe. Don't worry about that" she says politely. "He or his friends won't touch any of us or things will get really bad for them, I've seen to that" she says as she looks at Buhle who just smiles and nods in agreement.
"Any word on your husband?" Buhle asks, which suddenly get Lindiwe annoyed. "I haven't heard from that dog since this ordeal." she says with an angry face. "He probably made a run for it after hearing Tendai is in hospital. That bastard is just a coward; I regret marrying him" she looks up to the ceiling. They then sit there and talk fo a while, trying to cheer their friend up.
***

Later on, Lindiwe has a phone call with her husband back.
Bheki: "So how are you doing?"
Lindiwe: "Like you bloody care how I'm feeling you bastard. What do you want?" Bheki: "But I do care Lindi and..."
Lindiwe: "You told your friend about the files I have and he came for me and almost killed me, which would have been a huge convenience for you right?"

Bheki: "Baby, you got to believe me. I was not involved in what Tendai did to you. I was away" Lindiwe: "Firstly, don't call me that. I'm not your baby. Secondly, you and your corrupt friend will get what's coming to you."
Bheki: "Look Lindiwe, I know you may not believe me but I do love you and I would never allow anything bad to happen to you. I was away when Tendai took you, so I couldn't stop him. But I did send men to loom for you okay?"
Lindiwe: "Look, where are you right now? Because the police would really love to talk to you as well."
*small silence*
Lindiwe: "Where are you demit?"
Bheki: "Look, I can't tell you where I am okay? I'm away for now but I promise I..."
Lindiwe: "I knew it, I knew you'd run, you bastard. But let me tell you something, okay? You can't run forever. You will pay for what for what happened to me and you will pay for all your crimes, you hear me?"
*little silence again*
Bheki: "Look, Lindi...I'm really sorry for what happened to you okay? But I got to run for now okay. I will contact you soon okay?"
*Call dropped*
***

Few days pass as everyone is still on the edge trying to deal with the aftermath of what happened at the warehouse. Grace has left Sbu's house to be with his fiancé Tsepo as they are planning for their wedding. Jabu has taken some time off work to be with his baby mama Katlego in Cape Town. The two really needed this time to try and figure out their situation.
Lindiwe, though still traumatized by what happened is back at her Hotel penthouse. She has upped security a little bit as she doesn't want surprises at her doorstep. She is trying hard to get things back to normal in her business as well because she has been away for a little while.
Lerato is still mourning the passing of what she describes as the love of her life in Ndoda. She feels empty of over his absence but she has a few things to remind her of him. She is now back at work, trying to sort the businesses that Ndoda left for her. After all it was her idea that Ndoda makes these businesses legit and not just a front anymore.
Buhle has a lot to deal with. This experience has taught her to appreciate and value what's important in life-family. She's now back at the house, much to Sbu's joy. He's been missing his family so much and he has been trying to become better in the decisions he makes. While Sbu is back at work again, Buhle still needs a little time to deal with and of course she needs time to spend with her daughter. A whole lots of things need to change for her if she has to get things with her husband back to normal.
Sbu's days of fooling around are over. Now he just wants to look after his family. After almost losing his wife in that manner, he doesn't want to lose her through his own actions. So now he wants to work less hours so that he'll have time with his family. In fact, they had both agreed on changing their priorities.

***

As he and his wife are sitting in the lounge on the Friday afternoon helping their daughter Naledi with coloring, he can see that his wife is a little distracted. "Baby, what's wrong? Look a little off today, what's wrong?" he asks curiously as he puts down what he had on his hand.
This brings a moment of silence as Buhle thinks for a minute while trying to find words. "Uhmm, no baby I was just thinking about this mess we've been through hey. It will take a little while for us to get over that." she says with a low voice and a sad face. "Oh yeah babe, that was really hectic. But I promise, nothing like that will ever happen to you again" Sbu says as he gives his wife a gentle back rub. "And you? Any nightmares over that thing you know...having to shoot someone can't be that easy at your first time love" Buhle says as she's reluctant to make eye contact with her husband, knowing how sensitive this matter is. This makes Sbu look up to the ceiling for a second.
"Yeah it really wasn't easy at the beginning babe, but I'm dealing with it" he says as he forces a smile to which his wife returns. "You saved us, you know that?" Buhle says. "You are my hero my love, I really hope you know that. Lerato and Lindiwe appreciate you too. And can't thank you enough." as she kisses him on the cheek.
Sbu appreciates it but doesn't say anything except smiling back at his wife. "And baby, I'm really sorry for having been involved with that man, it will never happen again, I promise." Buhle says as she looks down in embarrassment which makes Sbu to give a little sigh before saying, "Look love, that's water under the bridge" as he smiles again. "I'm also sorry love about how I hurt you with the Katlego thing. It was really selfish of me. I'm really ashamed over that and I will never do something that stupid again, I promise. From now on it is you, me and our beautiful daughter" as he brushes Naledi's little head, who isn't even paying attention but busy with coloring.
But this moment is interrupted by the sound of the intercom ringing. Sbu, wondering who this was quickly stands up to go answer. "Hello" he says as he speaks through it. "Oh good afternoon Mr.
Ndimande, it's Sharon Osborne, Naledi's principal. Can I come in?" the intercom says.
Sbu has a good mind to send her away but since Buhle can hear it, he turns around and looks at her. He gives her a look as if to say, what does she want? But Buhle shrugs her shoulders as as if to say, I don't know, let her in. Well, after that, it's not like Sbu has much of a choice, "Uhmm okay, please come through" he says as he opens the gate for her and then he comes back and sits down next to his wife. But suddenly his heart begins to race as he is asking himself What is really going on here?
What is Sharon doing here? He waits anxiously for the doorbell, which comes after 5 minutes.
Sbu goes to the door and comes back with Sharon to the lounge. At that Naledi, out of excitement springs from the floor to go to her, "Ms. Osborne, Ms. Osborne" she shouts as she opens her arms to which Sharon accepts the invitation and picks her up. "Hey little princess, how are you?" she says as she kisses little Naledi. "I'm okay" Naledi says Sharon puts her down. She comes and sits down while Naledi goes back to her coloring project. "Uhmm, good afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Ndimande" she says as she smiles at the couple.
But at that very moment, Sbu's mind goes down memory lane as he remembers the night he and Sharon made love on the sofa of her house. He can still smell her perfume, the warmth of her body. He remembers how she kissed him, how she moved on top of him and the little sweet nothings she whispered in his ear as the sweat dripped all over their bodies. It feels just like yesterday. But he snaps out of it when Buhle says, "Uhmm, Ms. Osborne what a nice surprise. To what do we owe this pleasure?" with a smile. "Oh yeah, how can we help you Sharon?" Sbu says nervously as he takes a pick at his oblivious wife.

"Uhmm, actually I was hoping to talk to Mr. Ndimande in private if you don't mind Mrs. Ndimande" Sharon says while her eyes are fixed on Sbu. "Oh don't be silly, call me Buhle, please" Sbu's wife says as she innocently smiles, clearly she can't even read her husband's body language. Sharon just smiles at her.
"Look, I will give you guys space to talk okay? Would you like anything to drink Sharon?" Buhle says as she looks at her husband who just nervously smiles at her without saying anything. "Uhmm, no thank you Buhle" Sharon says to which Buhle just nods with a smile before saying, "Naledi sweetheart, come one let's go upstairs and continue there so that daddy can be busy okay?" to which Naledi reluctantly obliges as she takes all her school work papers before saying, "Goodbye Ms Osborne." Sharon says, "Goodbye sweetheart" with a smile and watches her and Buhle go upstairs.
But as soon as they get into Naledi's room, Sbu quickly jumps in, "Sharon what's going? What can I do for you?" he whispers but Sharon just smiles as she looks at Sbu in the eyes, thrilled at seeing him sweating a little bit.
"How are you Sbu?" she asks politely. "I'm okay Sharon. Now what are you doing here?" Sbu responds with a voice that's irritated a bit. "My daughter misses her daddy Sbu" Sharon says as she looks around in the house, the pictures on the wall. "I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Your daughter misses her daddy? Okay" Sbu says, confused by this conversation. "Yes Sbu, she misses her father and It doesn't look like she will be seeing him for a while" Sharon says as she turns her attention back at the nervous and confused Sbu. "Oh yeah, uhmm I'm sorry about that Sharon but what can I help you with?" he asks curiously. He seems a little distracted and disoriented a little bit.
"Well Sbu you are the guy who will make sure my daughter sees her daddy again" Sharon says as she moves to come sit next to him, which makes him a little uncomfortable as he looks upstairs. "But how am I going to do that Sharon? I mean that's now a matter for the police and the courts to deal with" he says as he looks at Sharon curiously trying to read what she's trying to pull.
"Well, you Sbu brought charges against Tendai right? So you will go to the police and drop the charges" Sharon says with some level of confidence and a smirk on her face. "What?" Sbu asks as he tries to whisper. "You know I can't do that Sharon. What are you trying to pull? That man kidnapped my wife and tortured her friends, so I can't drop the charges" as he looks upstairs to see if anyone is listening. "Well Mr., you are going to do it Sbu or else your lovely wife will know about you and I" Sharon says as she raises her eyebrow while smiling, feeling impressed with herself. "I bet she doesn't know the nasty things you did to me, right?" as she licks her lips while looking at Sbu's pants.
"You are bluffing?" the nervous Sbu says, trying to look confident but the truth is he's sweating under collar. He just fixed things with his wife. He practically just promised her before Sharon showed up. Can he really take chances with this one? He looks at her in the eyes to try and read if she's bluffing but all signs points to that she isn't.
"Sbu drop charges or I tell all" Sharon says as she stands up to walk towards the door but then turns around and says, "I'm not just going to tell her about you and me, but also about Ms. Lauren you screwed in her big office" she the turns to walk out the door, leaving Sbu so shocked that he sinks into the sofa like a man who has lost everything.

The End