The Door

Malachai stood in his room, looking out the window. Seeing everything, yet seeing nothing. His mind wonders off to what is about to happen. His punishment, his banishment.

He never regretted what he did, but now that he is faced with his pending doom, he is worried and scared at the same time. There is a knock on his room door, he walks slowly towards it. Scared to open the door. He took a few slow breaths before his hand closes over the doorknob. He debates if he should pretend to sleep and hoping that they will go away or if he should just open it and get it over with.

The choice is made for him, when the person on the other side starts to talk.

"Malachai, they are ready for you. Come with me. Your punishment is about to be presented."

His older brother, Angelo, stood behind the door. Waiting for him to open the door. Angelo was afraid, he was about to loose his brother, the one he raised basically. His heart is torn for what he is about to do, but it has to be done.

Malachai opened the door, staring at his brother.

He knows that is waiting for him. He knows that none of his brothers can actually help him. So he walks. Angelo along side him, saying nothing. His presence is enough for him to be somewhat in piece right now.

"You know that you have one request you can make before hand right? It can be anything. Just say it and I will try to do it for you. None of the others need to know what you asked for." Angelo softly whispered to him while they were walking.

"I know brother, but I need to own up to what I did. I need to face the others and take what they and father deems worthy as my punishment." Malachai said. For once his voice is strong and not shaky. He seems to understand the weight of what he did.

The walk to the throne room, felt absurdly long for them. Once in front of the doors, they looked at each other, deciding to just get it over with.

Fourteen pairs of eyes looked at him when he walked through the doors, he turned around to see that Angelo could not enter. Knowing that his father is behind this, he gets angry. How dare they keep his oldest brother away form him.

"Your punishment for what you did, is never seeing Angelo again. He will be sent where you can never find him and you will live your sentence down on earth. With the humans. For breaking one of the most sacred laws, you will loose most of your powers and strength. Your wings will fall off after a few years and you will age, slowly for a human, meaning you must keep moving. Once I deem you worthy you can come back. But you will never see your brother again."

Malachai never though that his father can be so cruel to him, to take away his only brother he ever loved. To never see him again.

His father snapped his fingers and a door appeared before him. Blinding white door with a golden doorknob. He took a deep breath and walked toward it, knowing there will be no escape. Before he could turn the nob he heard his brother call for him. Knowing that if he turns around, he will run to him. So he stay where he is, turning the nob, and opening the door. Taking a small step.