Ch01

Loving you is like a battle
And we both end up with scars
Tell me, who I have to be

"Damn, I can't believe he's gone" Isis heard as she walked inside the crowded gymnasium

"Damn, I can't believe he's gone" Isis heard as she walked inside the crowded gymnasium. The school had decided to hold a memorial ceremony for Farad Ali. Ali had lost his life three weeks ago; many saying it was a deal gone wrong.

"He was so loving" Miss Brown said making Isis frown. Farad was far from loving, he was a bully. A bully who took his anger and frustration out on everyone. His temper made him disliked by many of his classmates. It annoyed Isis how as soon as a person died matter how much of a menace they were people would talk highly of them.

"A fine ass nigga died," Mia said as she took a seat next to the timid Isis. Isis didn't say anything knowing she had nothing to say. She personally didn't know Farad and what she knew of him she didn't like.

"I'm just happy we get a free period because of this" Keisha said as she sat next to Mia. Isis had met the two best friends during her freshman year, she knew that they didn't like her like that. But she was appreciative that they still talked to her when no one else did.

"Nah facts cause Miss Brown love giving niggas pop quizzes," Mia said causing Keisha to laugh.

"Your brother came in today," Mia asked Isis. Mia and Isiah had a weird relationship that Isis never tried to understand. Isiah and Mia constantly cheated on each other; she never knew when they were good or bad.

"Why wouldn't he," Isis asked confused.

"You didn't have to be smart with it she asked you a simple question," Keisha said with an attitude.

"Nah for real you acting like I asked you where the president at," Mia said rolling her eyes.

"Today we commemorate the death of Farad Ali a student who was a part of our community. A soul that was taken way too soon. Farad was a strong athlete amongst his peers. He led our school in so many championships. He was a leader that would be dearly missed I leave the floor to his family and friends who knew him better" Principal Hutchinson said against the microphone. It was a speech that many of the students heard so many times. Living in Saint Louis led many of the youth to encounter and face death so many times that it was normal to them.

"My name is Nadia Ali and I lost my son, my only child. The greatest pain a mother can receive is outliving their child. I remember when I first gave birth to Farad he was the fattest baby weighing ten pounds..." Isis tuned her out. She started thinking if she was to die now would her mother be standing here equally distraught like Nadia? Would she cry and tell stories about the admiration that she had for her? Would she be proud of her? It was sad that Isis knew she wouldn't. Isis was her mistake, child, her mother made it very known how much she didn't like her.

"He's so fucking fine," Keisha said bringing Isis out of her thoughts. She looked down from the bleachers seeing Mooda. Mooda stood at six foot two, he had rich deep brown skin that emulated his mysterious appearance. Tattoos that told an unfolding story that only he could tell. But it would take you crossing the whole Sahara desert before you could touch Mooda let alone get him to speak to you. Mooda kept a small circle that the majority included his family and childhood friends. He didn't speak to anyone outside of those amongst and if he did he kept it very short and simple.