xi

xi | making the bed

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

❝i'm so tired of bein' the girl that i amevery good thing has turned into something i dreadand i'm playin' the victim so well in my headbut it's me who's been makin' the bed❞

every good thing has turned into something i dread
and i'm playin' the victim so well in my head
but it's me who's been makin' the bed❞

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

It was early in the afternoon when Lyra woke up. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she sat up. Taking the hair tie off her wrist, she pulled her blonde locks into a messy bun and headed to the kitchen for breakfast – lunch?

Bellatrix and Sirius were sitting at the table speaking in hushed voices. Judging by the look on Sirius' face and the way he instantly stopped talking when he spotted Lyra, they were talking about her. Bellatrix looked over her shoulder at her younger sister, who didn't pay her any attention. Lyra walked over to the pantry and took out one of the packages of kimchi ramen she got at the store with Draco a couple months ago.

Sirius whispered something to Bellatrix and nodded to Lyra. The dark-haired witch rolled her eyes. She stood up and walked over to Lyra, who glanced at her out of the corner of her eye as she filled the kettle with water and placed it on the stove to boil.

"You know we have house elves for that, right?"

Lyra rolled her eyes at Bellatrix's words. "They're not our personal servants," she grumbled, not looking at her.

Bellatrix scoffed. "Yes, they are. That's what a house elf's purpose is."

"You're unbelievable." Lyra shook her head and turned to look at her. "What do you want?"

Bellatrix glanced over at Sirius with an annoyed look. He took a sip of his tea and raised a brow. Bellatrix sighed in irritation and looked back to Lyra. "I was wondering if...if you maybe wanted me to make you something."

"I'm not in the mood to be poisoned, thank you."

Bellatrix gasped, anger shooting through her. "You know what? Fine. Go ahead and starve for all I care!" She turned to storm out of the kitchen, but Sirius grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"You said you wanted to make things right with her," Sirius said in a hushed voice as Bellatrix ripped her arm away, glaring up at him. "Well, you're not off to a very good start."

"She's being such a little brat!" Bellatrix quietly spat.

"Bellatrix, listen to me for a minute. You've really hurt someone who you shouldn't have been hurting in the first place, so you cannot blame her for being apprehensive," Sirius stated. He glanced over at Lyra, who was pouring boiling water over her ramen. She covered it and set a timer for three minutes. "She has trust issues. She's not gonna trust you easily. You need to try a more gentle approach. Let her come to you when she's comfortable, otherwise you'll just make things worse." He smiled gently at Lyra when she glanced over at them. She smiled softly back before turning her attention back to the timer as she watched it count down. "I'll leave you two alone," he told Bellatrix before leaving the kitchen.

Bellatrix exhaled sharply and walked back over to her youngest sister. She watched with furrowed brows as she took a fork out of the silverware drawer and stirred her bowl of noodles. "What is this peasant food you're eating, anyway?" she asked irritably.

"It's not peasant food." Lyra glared at Bellatrix. "It's ramen. It's quick, it's easy, it's safe, it tastes good..." She shrugged. "I'd rather have this than a 5 course meal any day."

Bellatrix frowned deeply at these words. She didn't understand how Lyra managed to appreciate the simple things in life.

She'd been like that ever since she was little. Unlike Draco, who reveled in the riches he was fortunate enough to grow up with, Lyra was modest about who and what she came from. She didn't care about her family's legacy or power in the wizarding world, she was the nicest to the house elves, and didn't honour her pureblood heritage – which was part of the reason why Bellatrix got so frustrated with her.

That, and it was easier to pick on her because she was so much younger than her.

"Fuck, I really have been awful," Bellatrix muttered under her breath. She hates who she's become, but more importantly, she hates how she ruined her chance to be a big sister to Lyra. She doesn't want anything to do with her, and there's no one for Bellatrix to blame but herself.