xii

xii | lyra's memories

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

❝i never wanted anything so muchthan to drown in your loveand not feel your rain❞

than to drown in your love
and not feel your rain❞

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

Lyra Black had finally snapped. After 18 years of pushing her feelings away so she wouldn't have to deal with them, they all shot out like an erupting volcano, and Bellatrix just so happened to be on the receiving end of her rage.

"You don't fucking understand!" Lyra screeched. She threw the first thing in her reach – a stuffed animal sitting on her bed – at Bellatrix, who caught it and tossed it back. "When are you going to get it through that thick head of yours that I want nothing to do with you?! Maybe if I was 6 I'd be more willing to forgive you!" She threw a book. "Maybe you should've thought about changing the minute you found out I was sorted into Hufflepuff! I needed you! I was a terrified little girl, and I needed my big sister to hold me and tell me that it was going to be okay, but you just made it worse!"

Lyra had tears in her eyes now. She reached for her wand and fired the first spell she could think of at Bellatrix, who blocked it with a wandless Protego. "Get the fuck out of my room!" Lyra shoved her out the door and tried to close it on her, but the older witch pushed it back open.

"You're right," Bellatrix said, surprisingly calm. "I don't understand." Lyra crossed her arms and glared up at her. Bellatrix pulled out her wand, pointed it at her sister, and muttered, "Legilimens."

"Bella! Bella, Bella, Bella!" 5 year old Lyra was running as fast as she could to the living room. She tripped over her little feet and grunted as she fell face-first on the floor. She stood up, brushed herself off, picked up the box she was carrying, and rushed over to the chair where her oldest sister was sitting. She placed the box in her lap, and Bellatrix scowled at her. "Will you play Wizard's Chess with me?"

"No." Bellatrix shoved the box into Lyra's arms. She stood up and left the room, groaning when she heard little footsteps following her. "Go ask someone else. I'm not babysitting you."

"I already asked Lucius, and he told me to ask you." Lyra pouted a little.

"Ask Narcissa."

"But she's busy!" Lyra whined, stomping her foot.

"Then ask Draco." Bellatrix rolled her eyes, hurrying up the steps and down the hall towards her room.

"I already did." Lyra pulled on the skirt of Bellatrix's dress. "Bella, please. I really wanna play with you." She looked up at her with big blue eyes. "Please?"

"Awe." Bellatrix mocked Lyra's pout. "Ickle baby wants to play with the big, bad wolf. How adorable." She rolled her eyes and walked into her room, slamming the door behind her. "I don't have time for you."