Fun

Stiles threw yet another shirt onto the growing pile that was threatening to cascade off his bed. Derek sat in his computer chair watching Stiles with an amused smirk on his face.

"Aren't you gonna get ready? We leave in thirty minutes," Stiles huffed, pulling another shirt from his drawer and holding it up to his chest. The orange and blue stripes weren't one of Derek's favorites but he said nothing, letting Stiles ponder the option.

"I am ready." Derek gestured to the olive green Henley and black jeans he often wore, his expression mildly offended.

Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Besides, you're lucky I'm even going."

Stiles tossed the shirt onto the tenuous pile and gave Derek a disgruntled look. "Oh, come on; it'll be fun, I promise."

"The first time I get hit on, I'm out."

Stiles laughed.

Derek pushed off the chair and gestured to the discarded red button-down that was draped over Stiles' headboard. "Wear the red one. You look good in red."

Stiles grabbed the shirt, a wide grin spreading across his face.

-

The sun had barely set, but the field was full of townspeople already mingling and grabbing drinks from the nearby concessions.

"What's the point of this, again?" Derek asked, leaning in towards Stiles' ear.

"I don't really know. I think it's just a reason to get everyone together and eat marshmallows.' He shrugged.

As if on cue, the loud voice of Mayor Martin boomed across the field through her megaphone. She stood atop a cooler, her heeled boots balancing on the lid.

"Hello everyone and welcome to another annual Beacon Hills Bonfire. As you all know, sitting around a fire and roasting marshmallows, or telling stories can create a sense of togetherness and connection, something I believe is important in a community. So, grab a stick, gather 'round, and enjoy!" She gestured to a large pile of marshmallow sticks that had been collected for the event.

"The point is to create a sense of togetherness and connection," Stiles said into Derek's ear, applause erupting around them.

Derek rolled his eyes. "Thanks." He smirked.

"Derek Hale, is that you?"

Stiles and Derek turned to see a long-haired brunette in a pair of ripped jeans and an oversized hoodie.

"Tanya, hey," Derek stumbled over the name for a moment. He hadn't seen her since high school.

"Never thought I'd catch you at one of these things." She gestured to where the bonfire was being lit.

"You can thank him for that." Derek nudged Stiles' arm with his elbow.

"Stiles. Nice to meet you." he stuck out a hand.

"Oh, wow, that makes so much more sense." Tanya smiled, taking Stiles' hand. "You two are cute. I always said Derek needed to date someone fun."

Derek's brows rose. Stiles tensed next to him.

"Oh, no, we're just friends," Stiles hurried to correct her.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to assume." Tanya gave an apologetic smile. "Well, it was good seeing you, I should get back to my friends." she waved awkwardly, slipping into the crowd.

Derek was about to apologize when Stiles grabbed his arm. "Let's get a drink."

Derek allowed himself to be drug through the crowd. He was surprised by the amount of people. He didn't even realize this many people lived in Beacon Hills.