The Fox and The Wolf

Cat and mouse, I believe is the term everyone is familiar with. Mouse teases cat, cat fruitlessly hunts mouse...there was even a show about it back in the day. Jerry was the mouse if memory serves, always evading the poor Tom. This story is a lot like that, only, it's a fox and a wolf and this is no animation.

Ever since Derek had heard of the new hunter in town, he'd kept a close eye on the man. He was well known in the werewolf community. He was ruthless and cruel. He was also incredibly cunning and smart, and none had succeeded in evading the hunter. It's how he got the nickname 'The Fox'.

Derek had watched from a safe distance for months as The Fox reeled in his victims, getting the information he needed and doing away with them. Only he had never gone after Derek. Derek was known for being the most dangerous of his kind. He killed any who he felt a threat. He trusted no one. He was the ultimate alpha. 'The Wolf' as he was simply called.

He'd scoped Stiles out over the few months expecting the hunter to seek him out, but he never came. Derek almost wondered if he was unaware of Derek, but The Fox was too good.

Derek had been ready to take The Fox out preemptively, but something about him Kept Derek curious. Instead, he watched the man.

It was late one night, and Derek was scoping The Fox's house waiting for the man to leave. He always left around eight p.m. to take a long walk through the woods. Nothing scared him, and no wolf dared try anything. Derek every night would sneak inside and search for clues as to if The Fox was on to him, but the proof was never there.

Derek waited patiently for The Fox to leave but as time ticked by, Derek's senses spiked. Something wasn't right. The Fox should have left by now. Something unfurled in the pit of the alpha's stomach. Had one of his hunts finally gotten the jump on him? Derek dared step forward but stopped.

That smell, he knew that smell. Meadowsweet.

Derek turned then, his clawed hand grabbing the intruder by the throat and slamming him into the nearest tree.

The Fox's eyes met the alpha red of Derek's.

"Derek Hale, how I've been looking forward to meeting you," The man purred.

Derek growled. Not a flicker of fear crossed the hunter's face. Derek could make people cry with just a look.

"I get it, you're the big bad wolf," The Fox taunted, "But do you mind, we both know you aren't going to kill me."

Derek growled again, "What makes you so sure?"

The hunter grinned, despite his throat being crushed under the weight of Derek's hand.

"You're curious about me. It's why you've been watching me, isn't it?"

Derek didn't respond.

"If it's any consolation, I'm curious about you, why do you think you're still alive?"

Derek's eyes narrowed but he slowly released Stiles. He wouldn't deny that he was curious.

"You're much better looking in person," The man's eyes raked over Derek's slowly.

Derek couldn't help but bristle under the stare of The Fox.

"Allow me to properly introduce myself, I'm Stiles Stilinski."

Derek remained silent. He'd never heard anyone refer to him by his name.

"Poor conversationalist I see," Stiles quipped, twirling a six inch blade in his hand.

"What is the point of this little meeting?" Derek snapped. He didn't trust Stiles and he was growing suspicious that this wasn't a trap.

"What's the matter, don't trust me?" Stiles stopped twirling the blade and took a step towards the alpha.