Alexandra~

Author's note.
As this is a story of a deaf person, sign language will be used. The quotes that are underlined are signed and which are not underlined are spoken. Have a good read, lovely~

Living in New York has taught me many things. Number one being, it's nearly not as cold as Russia. Let me introduce myself, I'm Alexandra Trusova. I'm 19 and currently living in NYC. Though it is cold, it is nearly not as cold as Ryazan, my birth place. It's a pretty good place but I miss Russia...

02.01.2024

5 am sharp and my mom tapped my shoulder gently to wake me up. I used to get startled before but I'm trying not to, recently. I take a hot shower and start to get ready for my morning practice, coach isn't gonna be happy if I miss them. Mom wants me to have breakfast but I prefer to eat before I leave for college, which is directly after my practice. I see a message from Coach Evgeni telling me to come early to practice today.

Arriving at the rink, I saw Coach talking to a man. I tried not to pry and started wearing my skates. I miss the sound of them sliding against the ice. Being deaf has it's downsides but I don't let it stop me. It does bother me more when I get on the rink. The ice, me gliding over it and coach's glares are what keep me motivated to continue my journey. As I see him look towards me, he signs, "You're 6 minutes late, Miss."
I sign him a quick sorry and skate towards him. I'll forever be grateful towards him. He learnt sign language for me and never made me feel like an outcast, which is pretty common in my college but I won't let it affect me. "Do your normal routine, I'm talking to this old shit who thinks I'll reduce the timing of your practice for his hockey. He's delusional. Don't worry and go practice, dear." he signs and I smile at his honesty, one of his greatest traits.

As I'm doing my normal routine, I think about the new year's party from yesterday. It was a total shit show and I went home 2 hours before my curfew of 11 pm. As I'm gliding, I see a guy with the prettiest blue eyes, they're always a turn on for me. I try to pay him no attention but I keep returning to those icy blue eyes which are following my every move. Coach definitely noticed this and is 100% laughing at me but I can't hear him either way so, win win for me. At least being deaf has some advantages. That's when I remembered that I didn't put my hearing aids on and as I landed a triple axel, I pat myself at the back and skate to my bag and sign "Forgot my hearing aids." to my coach and I see him sign "Stupid" and laugh which makes me laugh. As I sit to put my hearing aids on, I see the guy with the blue eyes still staring at me. I pay him no attention and look at coach as he skates towards me. "Old shit wants us to wrap up, when is your college starting?"
signs coach to me. "Looks like I don't have a choice." I smirk which makes him glare at me. I laugh and sign "College starts at 9, it's still 7:30." and he sighs. "Go home and take rest and.....good luck for tomorrow, kid." he signs and skates away. Hearing the last part of the sentence made me think of the one thing I've been dreading to hear today. It's been 7 years since Dad died and it has never been the same. He was my rock and my hero but God had different plans.
I wanted him there to be for my competitions, my qualifiers for the olympics but he left too soon. I start overthinking about the accident but quickly snap out of it and pack my bags. I remove my legwarmers and wear my sweats over my leggings. It's cold in this rink and I start to walk towards the entrance when I bump into someone.......the blue eyed guy.

Author's note.
Short chapter but still more of an introduction. Follow me on insta for updates and sneak peaks, writerxahofficial is my username.Thank you for reading, mwah~

Word count - 735 words.