Stay

They shot up, gasping for air. It was just a night mare.

They heard a voice from beside them "Glad to see you're awake, been sleeping all day. Sorry about what happened to you" Jinko said with a gruff voice, slightly muffled by his beard. They threw off the covers and panicked as they looked down at where their legs used to be, now replaced by steel and bronze, the gears visible beneath the plates.

With a blank stare they said "The fuck happened," their eyes widened slightly as they processed the loss of their legs "The fuck happened to me?"
Jinko said with a solemn look "Grenade took your legs, guess it gave you a concussion too. Barrett swiped you from the field and brought you here, he effectively went AWOL in order to save you."

"Barrett is here?" They said excitedly and swung their legs over the bed and attempted to stand, collapsing to the ground, not yet adjusted to the mechanical prosthetics. As Jinko moved quickly to help them up they asked "Is Barrett downstairs?"
Jinko replied as he helped them sit on the bed "Actually no, he knew there's not gonna be any running away from what he had done. Once you started to stir from your slumber he left to the train station."

Their eyes widened. The punishment for desertion was severe and Barrett wouldn't be given another chance. They tried standing up again, able to stand for just a moment before they lost balance and Jinko caught them again. "Easy kid. You're not used to your legs yet, it's gonna take a bit."
"No," they said determined "When did Barrett leave?"
"About a half hour ago, why?"
"Then I still have time."

They took Jinko's arm off them and stood, concentrating on feeling their balance shift, the phantom feelings of their legs made it easier. They didn't lose their legs, they just got a new set, they were still in control. One step.
"Kid it's gonna take time to get used to these things."
Another step.
"It's good progress but don't rush, you need to walk before you can run. Literally in this case."
A third step, then a fourth. And with the fifth they had reached the stairs.

Jinko sighed "Alright. I can see there's no stopping you."
The stair creaked with their step and they made sure their footing was balanced and secure before taking another step.
"When you see Barrett tell him I said 'Hi'."

Making their way down the stairs one step at a time, they could practically feel the grain of the wood floors as they walked through the kitchen and to the front door. Their hand gripped the cold door handle as they looked up at Jinko at the top of the stairs "Thank you old friend."
"Hey I'm not that old yet," Jinko chuckled as he made his way down the stairs."

The door swung open and they started to walk, the dirt and sand and gravel crunching under the metal and gears. One step after another, walking, jogging, faster and faster. Jogging, running, the fields of flowers and crops passing them as the breeze rushed through their hair. The town came into sight.

To the people working the fields all they saw was a blur, a cloud of dust following a figure moving at practically inhuman speeds. The displaced air causing hats to fly off and clothes to ruffle as they ran. They didn't know how fast they were going, all they knew is that the town was getting closer at speeds they'd never moved at. If the town was getting closer then the train station was getting closer too. Barrett, it was all they could think about, and they couldn't let him get away, not again.

They had to slow down, people crowded the train station and they didn't want to hurt anyone or make them panic with their speed. Wading through the crowd they scanned the area, their view being obstructed by the business people and tourists and returning soldiers. They stood on a bench, scanning the area with their heightened view, they spotted it. The blue ribbon on his hat, they gave it to him early on as a sign of friendship, not yet ready to admit their feelings.

"Barrett," they shouted and he stopped in his tracks, about to step onto the train he turned to look to the voice shouting his name. He saw them leaping from the bench, landing almost in front of him and their arms were suddenly wrapped around him and his arms wrapped around them. Tears streamed down their face as their arms were wrapped around Barrett's waist and his arms wrapped over their shoulders. They looked up at him "How dare you leave before I could tell you."
"What? Tell me what?"
Their hand caressed Barrett's cheek "Tell you that I love you dumbass."

Their lips met Barrett's as the people rushed around getting on and off the train. The train then huffed, moving bit by bit until it reached its full speed, leaving the two in their embrace.