Part II

After hustling all the way to Pop Village, Rhonda groaned in discomfort.

“I know, Rhonda," John Dory said as he stepped out of her. “I should've let you hunt before hustlin'. It's just that... I just... What am I gonna do? When this one dies, how will I live with myself? How have I lived with myself after killing four babies?"

Understanding her owner's plight, Rhonda nuzzled her face against his and swiftly brushed her tongue up his body.

John Dory chuckled and scratched her nose. “Thanks, girl, I needed that. Who's the sweetest armadillo in the world? Yes, you are! Yes, you are, you!"

“John Dory!" they both heard Poppy exclaim as she ran up to hug her boyfriend's brother. “You finally made it!"

“Yeah, sorry, Poppyseed," John Dory replied. “I overslept and..."

“No need to explain," Poppy reassured him. “What matters is you're here now. And Rhonda! Always good to see you, too!"

Rhonda cooed as the Pop queen kissed her cheek.

“Now, let's get to work!" Poppy said. “The Ball is in a week, so we got all day to plan before we start setting it up."

“Sure thing, Poppy," John Dory agreed, lightly scratching his scalp again. “Love you, Rhonda! Bye!"

As John Dory headed into the village with Poppy, Rhonda roared goodbye to him and began digging to find herself some grub.

💔🪺💔🪺💔

“Will, are you okay?"

“Huh, what?" Willow muttered as she snapped back into reality and found Ash sitting on the other side of the table.

“You haven't touched the onion rings," she pointed out. In response, Willow gently tapped one of the onion rings on the plate.

“Touch," she said. Ash just rolled her eyes.

Willow was conflicted. She hated keeping secrets, but to willingly break a pinky promise? What more could she do, though, to help John Dory go through this?

“Alright," said Bruce as he served the teenage couple their lunch. “Shrimp and cheese panini for the lovely ginger and seaweed rice wraps for my favorite vegan. Is there anything else the two of you need?"

“Not unless you can figure out what's wrong with my girlfriend," Ash replied as she pointed to Willow, who was looking down with her fingers twitching.

“I got this," Bruce assured the Rock princess, and waved a hand in front of Willow's face. “Earth to Willow?"

“Huh?" Willow peeped. “Oh, look. Lunch."

“Now, hold on," Bruce said, grabbing her wrist before she could get to one of her rice wraps. “Your mind's not on food. So, tell us what's going on?"

Willow sighed. “Bruce, Ash, have either of you guys ever kept a secret? I mean, one that could potentially harm you and maybe those you love?"

“I don't think so," Ash replied. Bruce just shook his head.

“That helps," Willow said sarcastically.

“Willow, if it's that dangerous, you should tell someone," Bruce suggested. “If one of my kids had something going on, I'd rather they told me right away."

“It's not about me," Willow admitted. “I know this guy who has this thing going on. It's happened before, and never really ended good. So he has no hope that it will this time, and no plan for if it does, even though he wants it to."