Part XI

This is the final chapter. Hope (a recurring theme in this story) you're not disappointed.

At Sunburn Cove, John Dory met with his brothers, Poppy, Viva, Flower, Willow and Synth in a sandy area where Rhonda dug a hole.

“John Dory, what's all this about?" Viva wondered.

“Guys, I've been thinking," he began. “I've been carrying a really heavy load with me for the past twenty-four years. It's time I unpacked it. Rhonda?"

Rhonda gagged for a second, then held out the three boxes with her giant tongue. Once John Dory took hold of them, she gently nuzzled her cheek against his face.

“I'm ready to let them go," John Dory said to his family. “But first, I'd like to tell you all about them and what I thought would be."

“We're here for you," Floyd reassured him. John Dory smiled sadly and held up the first box.

“This... is Mikey," he introduced. “I found out about him the day the band broke up. I was hoping if we could hit the Perfect Family Harmony, everything would be alright when I told you guys and none of you would think I was a screw-up, like... like Mom. I guess the apple doesn't fall far, though, does it?"

“John Dory," said Bruce, “you've screwed up on a lot of things, but having a baby at a young age wouldn't have been one of them. The difference between you and Mom is that you did a lot more for us than either of our parents did. And we're really sorry if we made you feel like you didn't do enough back then."

Wiping away a tear, John Dory opened up the box and dumped the eggshells into the hole. He, then, moved on to the next box.

“Betsy," he continued. “I was in a really bad relationship when she came around. By now, she'd be... Actually, she'd be Willow's age. Her mom had four hooves and a tail, so she would've been her own Troll. A little buck-toothed troublemaker turned rebellious teenager who would drive me crazy... but I'd still love her."

“That'd be so cute, yo..." Synth said, his eyes watering. John Dory emptied out the box and moved on to the third and final one.

“My twins, Ken and Kurt," he introduced. “I already had Rhonda by then, so at least I wasn't alone. Kurt would be the more sensible one. Ken would've been a stubborn little fighter, always getting into a scrap with something bigger than him."

“Just like his dad, eh?" Clay joked, causing John Dory to laugh a little. Once he was done and the final eggshells were mixed in with the others, he nodded at Rhonda and she filled the hole back up with sand.

“Bye-bye, cousins," Flower mumbled sweetly as Poppy held her in her arms.

“Goodbye, my babies," John Dory said, falling to his knees as he sniffled. Branch went over and wrapped his arms around him.

“It's never easy," he whispered, “but you're not alone this time. We got you."

As the rest of the brothers joined into the embrace, Willow approached them and made a tiny flame with her fingertips.

Have you ever felt like nobody was there?

Have you ever felt forgotten...

In the middle of nowhere?

Have you ever felt like you could disappear?

Like you could fall...

And no one would hear?

John Dory looked up at Willow as his brothers pulled away and got up, but he kept his knees in the sand.

Well, let that lonely feeling wash away