Part VII

“Uh, that's not how you're supposed to do it, Dad," one of Bruce's kids pointed out as he attempted to help with his math homework. “They want us to do it this way–"

“Rainy, I don't know that way!" Bruce shouted in exasperation, throwing his pencil down. “Why would they change math?! Math is math!"

“Dad, it's fine!" Rainy insisted. “I'll just wait for Mom to get back."

Bruce just scoffed. “Why bother? She won't understand it any better than I d–"

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

“Hold that thought, son," he said, and went to answer the door, but not before another one of his kids crossed his path.

“Daddy, can you carry me?" he asked, staring at his father with pouty lips and wide eyes.

“Well, Reef, I..." Bruce attempted to protest. He was getting older and Reef was more than twice his size, but he couldn't resist the look on his boy's face. “Alright. Come here, kid."

“Yay!" Reef shouted, and jumped into his dad's hair.

“Oh, boy," Bruce groaned as he carried his son downstairs. Once he got to the door, he opened it to find all four of his brothers, along with Poppy, Viva, Willow, Synth, and little Flower.

“Oh, hey, guys. What's up?" he greeted, his voice straining. Reef just giggled.

“Hey, Bruce," Clay said awkwardly. “We understand if you say no, but would you mind if we stayed for a little while? We'll all help around the house, we just, uh..."

Bruce immediately noticed the bandage on John Dory's head. “Oh, my gosh! John Dory, are you okay?"

Of course, he didn't answer. Branch watched John Dory turn away from them while hugging himself, then looked back over at Bruce.

“Can we talk inside?"

“Uh, sure," Bruce replied, letting Branch in.

“I don't see why I have to be here," John Dory muttered bitterly.

“It'll be good for you, JD," Poppy replied. “Viva and I will take good care of Rhonda while we get baby stuff and you'll just relax, spend time with your little brothers, and wait for your li'l egg to hatch."

“Poppy, you don't need to do all that," he insisted. “I mean, you really don't."

“Mm-mm, you put that negativity away, mister," she said. “I nearly died giving birth to Flower, nobody thought I would survive. Yet, I'm still here. I got a scar on my belly, but I'm still here."

“I hurts Mommy?" Flower asked, feeling uneasy.

“No, no, no!" Poppy replied nervously. “Princess, that's not what I meant. You've never hurt me. I hurt myself. Sort of. How do I explain this?"

Once he managed to get Reef down, Bruce returned his focus to his little brother. “What's going on? What happened to John Dory?"

“This happened," Branch answered, pulling the egg out from his hair. Bruce's jaw dropped as he blinked in shock. “That's not all. He's had four before this one, and... all of them broke."

Bruce wasn't sure how to process this information.

“Yeah," Branch continued, understanding his brother's speechlessness. “Anyway, we couldn't just leave him alone. He's... not in the best state of—"

Bruce raised his hand up to silence Branch.

“I understand," he said. “John Dory will need all the support he can get. Plus, with Brandy out of town, I could use some help with the restaurant and all my kids."

“Daddy! My hand's caught in the garbage disposal!"

“Tell the others they can come in," Bruce said before running off. “Don't struggle! Daddy'll help you!"

“I can barely handle one," Branch muttered, and headed back outside. “He said we can stay."

“Okay, Flower," Poppy said. “I'll come back in a week. I want you to be good to Uncle Brucey. Okay?"

“Okay, Mommy!" Flower giggled as Poppy showered her face with kisses.

“Why would it take you a week to get baby stuff?" Willow asked skeptically.

“Well, uh... babies need a lot of stuff," Poppy replied. “You remember my baby shower. The entire village got something for Flower, and poor John Dory has nothing for his little angel."

“I won't be needing anything," John Dory mumbled, still feeling hopeless.

“I'll miss you," Viva cooed to Synth.

“No, I'll miss you," he replied sweetly.

“No! I'll miss you!" she laughed.

“No! I'll–"

“Guys, can we wrap this up?" Poppy asked. “Veev, we have places to be."

“Right, sorry, sissy," Viva apologized, and quickly kissed Synth on the cheek. “See you in a week, Synthie."

“Later, yo..." Synth said, gushing.

Once they both got back inside Rhonda, Poppy and Viva smiled at each other.

“GIRL'S TRIP!"

“Oh, I sooo needed a break!" Poppy rambled as Viva started driving Rhonda. “I love Flower to bits, but being a mom can be overwhelming."

“I don't even have kids, and I feel for you," Viva said.

💔🪺❤️‍🩹🪺💔

“Over here's the guestroom," Bruce said as he guided them around the house. “Sorry there's only one bed."

“Forget the bed, this chair is comfy, yo!" Synth exclaimed, sitting back on an oversized chaise. Or, at least, oversized for a Troll. Since Bruce and Brandy's guests were usually Islanders, the furniture was more accustomed to them.

“Don't worry, Big Daddy, I brought my own bed," Willow replied, pulling out an inflatable raft from her hat.

“Willow, that's a pool," Clay pointed out.

“I know," she said as it self-inflated. “It reminds me of a bird's nest."

“This'll be fine, Bruce," said Floyd. “Thank you for all of this."

“Of course," Bruce replied. “It's the least I could do for my brothers, niece, former employee, and... Willow. Not to mention, our newest family member."

“Oh, please," John Dory scoffed, and headed for the bathroom.

“One of us should keep an eye on him," Branch suggested. “Make sure he doesn't hurt himself again."

“I'll stay," Floyd volunteered.

“Dad! I still need help with my homework!" Rainy hollered from downstairs.

“I got this one," Clay insisted.

“Careful, they changed math," Bruce warned his brother as he headed down. “I'll make John Dory some soup. He looked malnourished."

“I'll help," Branch offered.

“Can I helps?" Flower asked eagerly.

“Of course, you can, sprout," Branch answered.

“Daddy! Bruce Jr.'s pulling on my hair!"

“Be nice to your sister!" Bruce shouted.

“I'll handle them," Willow said. “You coming, Synth?"

“Oh, yeah, I'm right behind you," Synth replied, following Willow out the door.

“Let's go," Bruce said to Branch, and the two of them headed down to the kitchen with Flower in Branch's arms.

I admit, I was thinking about the short “It Takes Three" when I came up with the idea of temporarily sending Poppy and Viva away. Don't worry, they'll be back in two chapters. I think.

Until next time. 🌈