chapter 2

I could only stare at the dice in disbelief, sobering up real quick. This isn't really happening, is it?

How could I have lost that? How could I be so foolish as to make that kind of bet!?

"Well that was a close one now Wasn't it..." the captain grabbed the winnings and I watched as he looked at the pouch of coins.

No, no! Not only did I lose all my money, if he finds out that I don't have enough to pay him back–. my hands started to shake underneath the table as I glanced over to the blood staining the floor a mere few feet away.

I have to get out of here...I have to leave now! The captain's eyes moved to me as he quietly observed me. As if knowing what was going on I could see him grin.

standing up he dumped the coin out on the table and my heart skipped a beat as the two drunk sailors at his side looked at it confused.

"Hmm? Is this all you have?"

"I– I'll just leave!" I moved to stand up only for the two sailors to jump From their seats and grab me, I was pinned to the wall within seconds with no escape.

"You said 20 gold coins. You are short 5 coins and you believe You can just walk out of here without paying up?" The captain stalked over, twirling The knife in his hand.

"I'm sorry– I'll pay you back somehow!" I pleaded.

As the captain Stood before me Peering down at me I managed to finally get a good look at his face. He was...handsome to say the least, most women would probably Fall head over heels for such a guy. Even I felt a bit speechless from the way he looked down at me.

That shock however was quickly downed with fear as he lifted his blade to my neck, forcing me to tilt my head back to avoid being cut.

I whimpered helplessly as he waved off the two holding me down. "You were going to run away and cheat me out of five gold coins."

"I didnt– I wasn't trying to–" I struggled to find the words as panic took over me. Tears pricked the corners Of my eyes as I imagined him slitting my throat, cutting out my tongue Or even cutting off my hand. I made a grave mistake, I should have Been more prepared, I should have thought of another way!

The Captain hummed and I dug my nails into The wall behind Me as he trailed the edge of his blade down my neck towards the button-up coat.

Pulling the blade away he slid it through a gap in the front of my coat, I could feel the cold steel press against my skin, through my blouse underneath.

Closing my eyes I waited for him To gut me like a fish. It would be painful I'm sure, he already did something horrible to the last guy as a message to all those within the tavern. And now he's gonna do the same if not worse to me. Would my family find my body in the morning? Would I be left on the street? I'm scared, I don't want to die, not like this.

With one swift motion, his blade sliced through the top of my shirt and popped all the top buttons of the coat I wore over my clothes. I flinched and he took a small step back and stared down at my chest.

Confused, I looked down to see my breasts nearly spilling out from my torn blouse and my face immediately reddened. With a gasp I quickly covered myself holding the coat over my chest.

The pirate before me grinned mischievously as his men awaited his orders. "my, this is unexpected... Now why is such a fine lady like yourself doing out here in the middle of the night gambling with a bunch of lowlives?"

"I–" once more I was at a loss of words, both flustered and confused. Did he know I was a woman this whole time!?

Looking back up I could see he was smirking while looking at me intrigued. Maybe I could convince him to let me go unharmed?