chapter 12

(Warning: domestic violence and abuse.)

–violet–

"Violet!" Ace's voice called out. I stirred slightly with a groan only to be grabbed and shaked violently. "Violet get up!" Ace panicked.

Blinking awake I found Ace above me shaking me by the shoulders. "Violet!"

"W-what?" I asked confused, while still half asleep.

"We have to go! The navy found us, come on!"

He pulled me to my feet and I stumbled as I looked around confused. Peering toward the bay I could see three other ships approaching the island. 'The navy?! But how–'

"Let's go!" Ivan shouted from outside the building. Ace snatched our clothes and then grabbed my hand as we rushed down to the beach. Everyone was already loaded onto the boats as we got there and jumped in one ourselves.

"Dammit we aren't going to be able to get out of the cove fast enough... we can't fight three ships even if they were damaged in the storm!" Ivan spoke up.

Dread seeped deep inside of me as I looked at the fleet just outside of the island. Looking towards Ace I could see him staring down the ships with determination. 'If we can't get out of the cove then what are we gonna do?!'

Once we got back on the ship everyone rushed to their stations while Ace and Ivan spoke, going toward the quarterdeck. "Captain, there's no way we are going to get out of the cove. If we try to run then they will fire on us from both sides, and the storm won't be able to cover us before then either. We have to let them board." Ivan said.

"No, we can't–"

"Ace! We aren't the only ones here! If we get into a fight there's going to be casualties!" Ivan snapped.

Ace's gaze moved towards me as if he realized something before looking back to the approaching ship. Gritting his teeth he rushed over and grabbed my arm. "A-ace!?" He took me down to the main deck and then quickly into his cabin.

"Stay here and stay quiet," he said before turning away to leave.

I quickly grabbed his hand before he could walk out the door. "Wait! What are you going to do?!"

Ace paused, seemingly unsure what to say. After a moment he pulled me into a hug. "I'm going to keep you by my side, no matter what it takes. I promise I won't let them take you no matter what."

I squeezed Ace tighter as Ivan called out orders to the crew to prepare to be boarded. He then quickly pulled away and stepped back. Grabbing his hat off his desk he left the cabin with a look of determination.

Rushing over to the porthole window, I looked outside to see one of the ships pulling up beside us while the other two naval ships were sitting just outside the cove.

I started pacing back and forth anxiously as all the possibilities of what could go wrong raced through my mind. If Ace and his crew were found to be pirates they would be hanged. On the other hand, if the navy finds me here, Ace could be imprisoned for kidnapping or worse...

No, no I can't think that way, I have to trust Ace has it under control that he can get us out of this. He can do it... right?

I froze at the sound of a familiar voice outside. "Greetings fellow seafarers!" Spinning around towards the door I felt my heart race. 'It can't be...'

Moving closer to the door I cracked it open and peeked through the gap to look outside. I could see Ace standing on the deck facing the ship and people boarding us. "Greetings captain, is there something we can help you with today?" Ace replied as he smiled, crossing His arms. I could faintly make out Johnny and Ivan standing off to the side with the rest of the crew standing behind them.