Prologue

Ember's POV

Eldoria is a country known for its beautiful countryside landscapes. The breathtaking mountainous range was a perfect backdrop among the beautiful green shrubbery; it was nothing like the bustling, drab cityscape. That's actually where I come in.

It was another boring Friday in the precinct, and my stepmother Vanessa kept blowing up my phone. She needed someone to watch the twins.

After the incident, my mother took refuge in abusing substances. My father, who was my biggest supporter, remarried the wicked witch of the east, and of course, she put on an act in front of my father.

My fingers wrapped around the half of a pendant that hung around my neck. My amber eyes skimmed across the screen of my smartphone. "If you don't come home this instant, then I'm throwing your bed in the pool." I read the text in my head and scoffed; my eyes rolled out of habit. She was all talk and no bark. She didn't believe I'd leave the precinct so she could go out drinking with her friends and spend my father's hard-earned money, did she?

"Chase, I need you to stay late again. We got a report on a wolf eating a grandmother, and I need you to go through the case file," my boss, Mr. Stiltskin, stated before he threw the reports on my desk. "It's a strange one."

"I'll get to it right away," I replied, looking over it, The only witness seemed to be the granddaughter, a little girl in a red cloak named Carol. The poor girl must have been traumatized. She mentioned that her grandmother would complain about a hunter who would kill her cats. Strange indeed.

There was nothing wrong with being a records analyst, but I wanted to be out on the field. Be the one who actually did something to make a difference in people's lives, not slaving away over paperwork. I'm quite sure I would make a decent detective. Victim or suspect? I mean with no living relatives inheritance will go to none other than the granddaughter. "I want it on my desk first thing Monday morning."

Maybe I could find the little match girls who seemed to be going missing. Grace would be proud if she were still here. Hell, she'd probably be the first on the case; she's always loved a good mystery. I suppose I have her to thank for this job.

"Sure, a thing, boss," I replied, fiddling with the loose thread hanging from the sleeve of my navy blouse. My natural kinky curls were held up in a nice, neat ponytail. "Actually um... Mr. Skin I had a question?" I stammered wringing my wrists together.

He looked around before his eyes landed on the clock on the wall, "You have a minute of my time."

"I'm good at my job right?" I asked as he gave a slight nod.

"The best analyst we got, what's your point?"

"I want to go on the field, imagine how much time we'd save if I was on the scene."

"I'm sorry but I can't do that," he coldly stated.

"But why not?"

"If I allow a kid to go out on the field then the company will become a joke, let alone a girl." Sexist.

Minutes turned into hours, and before I knew it, it was half past eleven. My bag that sat at my feet was now on my desk as I gathered everything before I drank the last little bit of the mango smoothie I had gotten with lunch.

Many of my colleagues had already left. I overheard some of them talking about going to the bar after work. I however rather not get into legal trouble for publicly drinking underage.

Being the youngest employee here sucked. No one ever took me seriously. My ears perked up at the sound of the copy machine whirling and hushed whispers. Someone's getting frisky.