Chapter Two

The old wooden bathroom door creaked as I pushed it open with what I planned to wear for the day. Which was just a plain black t-shirt and a pair of dark gray cargo pants, "Lirahn, if you're planning on taking a shower, the hot water isn't back yet," Aunt Mei shouted from down the hall as I nodded.

With the number of bills and the economy doing wonders for lower-class citizens like us, things like basic cable and hot water were nonexistent in our cramped apartment. It looks like it's another cold shower kind of day. Can't wait,

Aunt Mei and Uncle Jim have been so kind. They took me in and treated me like their own. Guilt plagued my consciousness; I was nothing but a burden, I gave them another mouth to feed. My job at the local coffee shop, 'The Frosted Faun Café: Where Every Sip is a Story' paid okay, but it wasn't enough, for me to live off on my own, "Okay, Emomi, I'll be quick."

I set my clothes on the counter before I closed the door that didn't lock. Winter was the worst season of the year, everything from the tile floor to the doorknobs was too cold.

It was also my mother's favorite season, that woman loved her hot cocoa almost as much as she loved baking a fresh batch of cookies. She swore it was what made winter so great. I loved the way she made her hot cocoa.

The smell of chocolate chip cookies filled my nostrils as I entered the kitchen. "Mom, what are you making?" I asked, sitting down on the island.

"I just decided to put on a batch of cookies. I was going to bake a cake and surprise your father when he gets home," she replied as I pulled my schoolwork out of my backpack.

"That's right, today is your wedding anniversary."

"Mhm," she hummed in response.

"Does that mean I can get out of going to school today?"

"Nice try, go get dressed," she chuckled, "Oh and Kaiya, your father and I are going out later so your uncle Jeff will be picking you up from school today."

"Aw, man," I grumbled, marching to my room as my mother answered the phone that rang.

"Hello? We'll be right there."

That was the last day I ever smelled my mom's fresh cookies.

A knock snapped me out of my thoughts, "You almost done in there, son?" Uncle Jim asked, "I need to use the can."

I turned to the mirror and gave myself one last look, looking good, Kai. My hand reached for my pajamas that took the place of the t-shirt pants that I was now wearing and opened the door. "All yours, is Lee ready?" I asked.

"She's waiting in the living room, please convince her to wear a coat. We wouldn't want her to catch pneumonia again."

"Will do, Uncle Jim."

The living room also doubled as the kitchen and dining room. We were lucky enough to have three bedrooms and one working toilet. Well, two bedrooms. I took over what was supposed to be the study. "Lee, don't forget your winter coat," I began as I grabbed it from the coat rack by the door along with her earmuffs and my beanie."

"Thank you for taking her out, Lirahn, I would have done it but I got called into work at the last minute," Aunt Mei said holding her cell phone to her ear, she was identical to my late mother, they were twins after all.

"It's fine I don't mind, Emomi. I don't have to be at work until one, so I can take her for a few hours."

"Take her to the coffee shop with you, We'll both be at work later today, and she's too young to stay home by herself." There was no law against it but we lived in a shader part of town where anything could happen.

"Lee want to come to the coffee shop with me?" I asked while I turned my attention to the ten-year-old girl who sat on the makeshift couch. She had just turned ten meaning my parents' memorial was eight months away. The couch was made from an old frame and a couple of mattresses. She had a few boxes of matches, which sat next to her by her feet.

"Will you make me a coffee cake?" Lee asked getting up from the couch as I helped her put on her winter coat.

"Lee, you're too young for coffee!" Aunt Mei scolded before she headed down the hall to get ready for work.

"How about a cupcake?" I asked while I opened the door. I stuck her earmuffs on head as she looked up at me. Her brown eyes met mine for a split second as she gave me a dirty look.

"Do you need gas money, Kai?" Lee asked, "I can give you some of what I saved up."

"No, it's fine."

My car may have been a few years old, but it still did its job. I descended the steps with Lee, who trailed behind me; she counted out loud. "3...4...5"

"Where do you want to go first?" I asked, waiting for her to catch up.

"The bookstore!" She said, before she jumped down the last three steps, she nearly fell on her face before I caught her. She dropped her boxes, but I helped her pick them back up.

"Hey, be careful! Your mom will have my butt if I brought you home with a busted lip."

"Haha! You said butt." Lee laughed as I gave her side-eye before spotting a group of homeless men arguing.

I moved Lee in front of me so I could keep a closer eye on her. "I don't think the bookstore is open this early, It's only a quarter before nine," I quietly replied.

"Can we go before you go to work then?" She asked as she turned her head to face me. She gave me her infamous puppy dog eyes.

"I don't see why not," I replied while I pressed the unlock button on my car key that was in my coat pocket.

"Can I ride shotgun?"

"Sure, just don't tell Mei," I replied. I opened the passenger door for her so she could get in. "Don't forget your seatbelt," I added manually locking the door before shutting it.

A sigh escaped my lips as I made a breath cloud. I tried to mentally plot out the best route to take before I rounded the car to climb into the driver's side.

"Kai, can I have cheesecake when we get to the coffee house?"

"You don't like cheese, though," I stated.

"They use actual cheese?" She asked as I just laughed and snorted in response. "Who puts cheese in dessert?" She asked as her voice squeaked, it always did that whenever she was in disbelief.

My head shook while I fastened my own seatbelt. I inserted the key into the ignition and turned it as the car hummed while it started up.

I knew small business owners most likely wouldn't buy any matches since they had their own expenses to worry about, whereas bigger chain businesses would cast us aside for being urchins before they called the cops on us. She'd be lucky if she got one sell-in.

Unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, then society chewed you up and pooped you out. "We can go to the laundromat, the owner called me adorable and said that she would buy matches from me next time."

"Well, you are adorable, Lee."

"Kai, what's love?" She asked as I pulled away from the curb. She hugged her boxes on her lap.

"Sometimes it's what drives you to take your next breath."

"And other times?"

"It's revenge."

"Well, that's dark."

"Sometimes things have to be grim before you get a satisfying answer."