Chapter Six

The door to my rideshare swung open. I gave the driver what little cash I had on me. "Thanks Sir," I gratefully stated before I climbed out of the vehicle. My car was currently in the shop, only God knew when I was to get it back, if I was going to in the first place. It's been a month since I've been without it.

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as though they're here to stay." The lyrics played low on my cheap headphones. The Beatles were always one of my father's favorite artists. Beatles was actually my first word according to my mother.

I tucked the house key with a keychain Lee made me into my pocket. Her voice echoed in the back of my mind, "You're the bestest big brother Kai." Her wide toothed smile spread across her face while she wiggled her loose tooth with her tongue. Now she refuses to speak to anyone and has been glued to Aunt Mei's hip.

A sigh escaped my lips as I pushed open the door to the dinner. My eyes met the young woman's light brown ones she was sitting in a booth with someone. I broke eye contact first and scanned the ambiance of the cozy dinner. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through the apps on my phone to shoot my penpal a message.

PeachRiscotto12: I'm here. How will I know when I see you?

Delivered.

I sighed and took a seat at an available booth nearby the couple. "Young love makes me sick." I muttered to myself. As the young couple continued to be a bit too loud for my liking.

"I'm on my way." The guy replied, his voice had a familiarity to it. Sounds of weapons clashing and grunts were heard coming from their table. 'I guess they're playing some game.'

"Wait, my friend texted me," She replied. The guy shot me a dirty look and I gave him the same unwelcoming glance before turning my attention back to my phone.

Read.

"This is the dumbest decision you'd ever made, Em." 'I guess her name was Emma or Emily. She kinda looked like an Emily.'

My ears perked up as she mentioned my internet handle. "Only time will tell, if PeachRiscotto12 is a fifty year old perv," She sighed "Shoo, Jordy no one brings a friend when they meet face to face."

The guy sighed and got up from his seat. "Maybe if they did then there wouldn't be so many kidnappings each year." He walked past my booth as his phone rang. He smelt like the cologne factory had blown up on him. The same cologne factory and leather jacket I've seen and smelled before.

My phone dinged with a notification and I looked down.

MangoSmootie07: Okay great, I'm sitting at a booth by the window. I'm wearing a tan trench coat.

PeachRiscotto12: Are you sitting at table 13 by any chance?

Delivered. Read.

MangoSmoothie07: um yes... where are you?

A sigh escaped my lips, that Jordy guy seemed like he would bring so much unnecessary drama to my life. 'No thanks'

My phone vibrated on the table as I shut off the screen. I turned it on to see the notification.

MangoSmoothie07: Peachy?

I got up from my seat and approached the girl who was now sitting alone. "Excuse me but you wouldn't happen to be Mango Smoothie would you?" I asked.

She looked up from her phone and a frown appeared across her face. She looked vaguely familiar, she had a face that was impossible to forget. The neon fluorescent shone behind her and her eyeliner and lip gloss added to her appeal. "Indeed I am," she began "Are you Peach Riscotto?"

I nodded as she gestured for me to sit down across from her, "I gotta be honest I was convinced you were an old man living in a basement," I began taking a seat.

She flashed a fake smile and nodded before taking a sip of the drink in front of her. 'Good going Kai you've offended her.' I sat down in the warm leather booth.

"Funny my friend and I said things about you," she stated. "So about Big Bad, Did anything stand out to you when you found the body?"

"Let's try that again, I say "hello I'm Kai and it was very nice for you to invite me, and then you say..."

"I don't have time for small talk, I'm in a time crunch," she coldly replied, pulling out a pen and notebook from her bag. "Now where did you see the body?" She asked scribbling something down.

"In front of my car two days after Christmas," I began, "Wait, are you a journalist or something?"

She completely ignored my question as I noticed the box of matches she had pulled out from her bag when she looked for the pen. One thing about match girls is whoever makes the sale, their name is on the side of the box. It read Leeann Taylor clear as day. They were like girl scouts but less cool, "Did you notice anything strange?"

"Where did you get that?" I asked as she looked up from her notebook.

"The pen?" She asked, waving her glitter gel pen around. "I think it came from a pack my sister got from her school supplies."

Now that I was looking at her it made sense, she was the pity woman, 'but I shall probably keep that to myself for now since she's decent to talk to online.'

"Right, anyways there was a weird business card tucked into my windshield wiper." I shrugged, pulling the card out of my pocket and setting it on the table. "Sorry about the dried blood."

"All good," She replied with a nod and took the card and flipped it over. "Hatters Tea Room of course. Want to go on a road trip?"

"Hmm what do you mean we just met aren't you scared I'm dangerous?" I asked while she stopped and thought for a moment.

"Nah, anyone who smells like coffee can't possibly be harmful'," she stated, "Come on let's go!"

"Wait, why would I agree to live with you when I don't even know your name?"

"Right, well I'm Ember. Does that make you feel better?"

"Not really." I shook my head as she frowned, "I mean what about your friend? Wouldn't he be mad if he came back and you were gone?"

"Can I level with you?"

"Uh sure?"

"He's a nice guy but if he knew the reason I would go to a tea house was because evidence led me there I would never hear the end of it. Besides I'm going whether you come with me or not."

"Let me just text my aunt to see if she needs me to babysit." I sighed, pulling out my phone as she nodded.

"Good idea, I'll text my stepmom and Jordan before getting a taxi."

Her face crinkled up when she mentioned a stepmother but I decided not to ask about it. I opened my phone's messenger app and scrolled for Aunt Mei's name. My thumbs slide on the keyboard as I decide what exactly I would tell her. 'Eh let's go with the truth.'

Me; So um hey Aunt Mei, I'm going to a tea shop with a cute girl I've just met so if she ends up being a serial killer I'm sorry and tell Lee she can have Mr. Squiggles.

Aunt Mom: Hi Kai, Oh my! I hope you're just kidding about the serial killer part! Stay safe and be sure to keep an eye on her. Have fun at the tea shop.And don't worry, I'll let Lee know about Mr. Squiggles. She'll be thrilled! Take care, -M

"So I just googled it and it closes in a couple hours. There's a couple's discount so do you mind pretending you're my boyfriend Kai?"

She caught me off guard, "Wait what?"

"Their wonderland waffles look yummy and I didn't get a chance to order."

"Okay sure?"

"Great, let me just pay for my friend's soda and we can go."

Ember was rather strange but something about her drew me in. 'This girl is gonna give me a run for my money isn't she?"