Chapter Four

The coffee machine whirled as I put in the roasted coffee grinds, to complete the customer's order. My butter knife glided across the everything bagel, and I set it aside. Before I popped the new batch popped into the toaster oven. Lee loved bagels probably because she was obsessed with anything bread related.

Every now and then I shot a quick glance at Lee, who sat at a booth nearby eating a cupcake. She chose butterscotch since we were fresh out of strawberry. I chuckled and watched as she danced in her seat while listening to music on my phone with the cheap earbuds I brought myself. Every now and then, she would stop dancing and turn her attention back to the book she brought with her. She seemed to be hooked on a certain sci-fi novel. Aliens for her were like crime for me, I suppose. She's gonna be a scientist most definitely.

"Can I have a tall triple-shot, half-caf, soy milk, extra foam latte with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, please." A young ginger woman ordered. A fake smile appeared on my face. I had to be nice if I wanted to keep this job, but that didn't make the complicated orders any less fun. Her green eyes twinkled with something I couldn't quite read.

"Anything else?" I asked, ringing up the coffee.

"I'll have the gluten-free, vegan avocado toast topped with microgreens and a sprinkle of pink Himalayan salt, served on organic whole grain bread, please," she added. I shouldn't have asked. We don't have pink Himalayan salt, and the only bread is multigrain. What menu was she looking at?

"I'm sorry we don't carry pink salt or whole grain, but can I interest you in some multigrain? I hear it's good for the complexion and makes your hair grow faster." I lied; my manager told us the customer is always right, and if we had to lie to get the sale, then do it. I hated the misinformation we spread. Money was the bane of my existence. "Or maybe you rather me mix red food coloring into the seasalt?"

"Can I speak with your manager?" The woman asked as my fake smile faltered. Great not in the mood to deal with a Sharon today.

I grabbed a pen and scribbled the number for my boss on the napkin; it may or may not have been fake. "She's away on vacation right now, but I'm sure she would love to hear your concerns."

"What is your name so I can report you to corporate for being rude?" She asked. Oh honey I haven't begun yet but if you like I can dial up the jerk knob a smidge.

"Joe," I dryly replied.

"Joe?" She repeated raising a perfectly manicured brow.

"Yes, Joe Mama. It's Dutch."

"Tch!" She smacked her lips, placing her hands on hips ."What is your real name!?" She demanded.

"I already told you it's Joe Mama."

"That isn't your name, you claim it's Dutch, but you're not even white." She scoffed, rolling her emerald eyes. "Doe niet zo stom. I know because I'm Dutch."

I pretended to gasp, why did she have to crush an Asian boy's dreams? "How dare you take away my white card? You should be ashamed."

"No, you should be." She began, but was cut off by the guy in line behind her.

"Look Sharon. The guy gave you the number to his boss and was nothing but nice, so why don't you take your hunchback snaggletooth self and leave," the guy who waited in line behind her stated, Thanks, dude.

"Who are you?" She huffed and turned her attention to him.

"Just a guy waiting for his coffee like everyone else. Are you done being obnoxious here?"

"Ob- Obnoxious? How dare- tch!" She huffed and smacked her lips before she threw money at me, she headed for the door. Derogatory remarks spewed out of her mouth. "I'm going to get this place, shut down! Stelletje eikels!"