Chapter Seven

I knew it was extremely dumb to go on an adventure with someone I just met. I mean I heard about the case of a girl who tried to marry a guy she just met. That guy turned out to be a massive creep and left her sister in debt trying to bury the poor naive girl.

Kai smelled nice at least and gave my nose a break from Jordan's nauseating signature scent ' Clive Christian X for Men.'

I was good at remembering faces and knew he was the douche from a month ago but decided against bringing it up. "So you said something about an aunt, do you live with her or something?" I asked as we walked along the cold covered parking lot.

He raised a brow as the taxi pulled up, "I thought you didn't do small talk?"

"No you're completely right but I also hate car rides in complete silence,"

He opened the door for me and gestured for me to get in, "And they say chivalry is dead." I teased.

"Haha very funny, get in Smoothie lover. Before I catch a cold."

I nodded getting in and climbing through. "Where to?" The taxi driver asked the cigar hanging from his mouth as I got hit with Deja Vu.

"Oh hello again," I began as he looked confused.

"I'm sorry but do I know you?" The cab driver asked.

His words replayed in my mind, 'Isn't that place a girl went missing from eight years ago?'

"Nope, please just ignore me," I said, flashing an innocent smile. Kai raised a brow but shrugged it off before buckling his seatbelt reminding me to buckle my own. "Can you take us to 1377 Wonderland Avenue, please?"

"You're the second girl that's asked me to take her to a strange address." He sighed, "It's rather dangerous so You guys will be careful.

I fished for my phone in my coat pocket and opened my Show Crime app.

MangoSmoothie07: There's something we may not be able to discuss in public so we may have to figure out a code system.

Delivered.

His phone buzzed as I watched it it turn from delivered to read

PeachRiscotto12 is typing...

PeachRiscotto12: Good call, may I ask a quick question?

MangoSmoothie07: Sure shoot.

PeachRiscotto12: What does the 07 in your name mean?

I bit the inside of my cheek and fidgeted with my seatbelt. I guess if he's going to be my partner in crime I should just rip off the bandaid.

MangoSmoothie07: It's the year my sister Grace was born. What about the 12 in yours?

PeachRiscotto12: It was the name of a hamster I had when I was younger. So how many siblings do you have?

MangoSmoothie07: You never answered my question about your aunt.

I jumped when I felt a warm hand on top of my own. I turned my attention to Kai and raised a brow. "Let's not talk about family, it seems to be a sore subject for the both of us," he began, for the first time in my life words failed so instead I just nodded in agreement. My phone buzzed in my other hand as I felt my heart rate accelerate.

Jordybeez: K that's cool. Enjoy the twins.

I knew for a fact it wasn't cool. I felt bad lying to him but knew if I told him the truth then, I would hear his complaints the whole ride over and I really didn't want to deal with that.

Me: I promise we can see a movie or something to make it up to you.

Jordybeez: Can I pick the movie and date?

Me: As long as it doesn't interfere with my work schedule.

He liked my message as I received a notification from SC.

PeachRiscotto12: What if we use brief one word codes that can be used in everyday discussions. For instance something like planting flowers can be like gathering evidence.

MangoSmoothie07: and watching the sunset can be like reviewing case files, the one thing I do for a living.

PeachRiscotto12: You look at case files?

'That's right I never told him I worked at the detective agency downtown.'

MangoSmoothie07: I work at the detective agency downtown, I'm a records analyst.

PeachRiscotto12: Bruh that's so cool! Marry me.

MangoSmoothie07: lol, it's really not, my schedule changes and I'm surrounded by miserable middle aged men who hate their jobs.

PeachRiscotto12: Ouch, that sucks. Has to be alot better than making coffees for entitled people.

"It's so quiet back there," The taxi driver began, which caused me to look up from my phone. "Is this how couple's nowadays communicate?"

"Oh no we're not a couple," I began, "he's just a friend."

"That's a shame, you guys look cute together, and the fact you guys have been holding hands for the past fifteen minutes kinda solidified things for me."

I quickly pulled my hand away and Kai turned his attention out to the window, "We seem to be leaving town," Kai stated.

"Of course the address you gave me is on the outskirts," the driver stated, "Did you guys not know where you're going?"

"Nope, we definitely know." I lied, "Say Mr. Taxi guy, do you have any hobbies?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Oh I play pool with a couple of guys on the weekend," He replied, "Why do you guys want to go to an abandoned "

'An amusement park?' I turned my attention to Kai who was still looking out the window.

MangoSmoothie07: Can I see the business card again?

Delivered.

I heard his phone buzz as he shuffled from the corner of my eye. My eyes drifted back to my phone as it went from being delivered to read. He shuffled again before tapping me on the shoulder, "Here," he said, handing me the card again.

"Thanks," I replied, taking the card from him. I snapped a quick photo of it to do a quick google image search. The only thing that popped up was a restaurant that went bankrupt centuries ago after the consumers got sick from rat poison. 'Wait, wasn't there a menu up an hour ago?'

I checked my browsing history to see the website was not a menu but rather a personal blog post. "I'm not going to get my waffles." I muttered to myself before noting something I didn't notice before. The back of the card had a pull away plastic sheet over the back of it. "What's that?" Kai asked as I scratched the sheet a bit so I could grasp the tab better and pull it off.

"We're about to find out," I began as I pulled the plastic tab off revealing the holographic card underneath it. It began to glow a bright blue color.

"Look at your necklace," Kai began as I looked down at the matching glowing hue of my pendant. "Where did you get the necklace?"

"My mother," I replied as I heard the door manually lock. I looked up meeting the cab driver's eyes in the rearview mirror. His eyes now held something sinister and I noted the same bear tattoo peeking out from his collar. My gut was telling me to get out of there asap.

"Um excuse me sir, the road seems to end up ahead," Kai began.

The taxi driver just snickered and closed the window that separated us from him, "Kai, do you trust me?" I asked unbuckling my seatbelt.

"Uh, I guess," he replied, it was my idea for us to meet up, so it was up to me to get us out of this.