Chapter Eight

The car spun out of control as Ember pulled various objects out of her bag. She tried to break the window.

Manually pulling on the lock did nothing, The whirling of the engine mirrored that of the beating of my heart and Ember's constant banging.

The driver jumped out of the vehicle as Ember switched gears trying to break the glass that separated us from the steering wheel.

Time seemed to stop or slow down at least, Ember's metal writing pen made contact with the dividing glass a fifth time as the glass shattered.

She climbed over the seat grabbing the steering wheel, as the vehicle lurched forward the wheels stayed suspended in midair before gravity got the best of us. The car came crashing down causing me to knock my head on the nearby window. My vision grew blurry before everything went black.

****

I woke up to the sound of waves crashing against the shore. The sound of a beating drum and voices could be heard from a distance. The sand covered, brown eyed tawny skinned beauty was lying on top of me. "Hey Ember, wake up," I began trying to gently shake her awake.

"Five more minutes Grace," she mumbled as I gently pushed her off of me, freeing myself.

I had a lapse in memory, I remember the car driving off the bridge but everything that happened before the last year was a blur.

"Ah, my dear travelers, washed up by the sea, What brings you here, to this land of mystery? From the depths you've emerged, a curious sight, But fear not, for in Wonderland, all is made right. You've stumbled upon our shores, by chance or design, In this realm of wonder, where dreams intertwine. So welcome, dear friends, to this whimsical place, Where riddles abound, and time leaves no trace .But tell me, pray tell, what brings you this day? To the shores of Wonderland, where you now stray? For every journey holds secrets untold, And here in our world, mysteries unfold." A mysterious dark husky voice began speaking in riddles as I looked around. The figure was nowhere to be seen.

"Who said that?" I asked, noting there was no one around except for Ember and I, she was now stirring awake.

"Who said that, you ask with a start? Why, it is I, the one with the cleverest heart. A voice in the shadows, a grin in the night, In Wonderland's depths, I bring delight. But fret not, dear traveler, for I mean no harm, I'm simply a cat, with a penchant for charm. So follow my lead, and you'll soon see, The wonders that await, for you and for me." The voice replied.

"What's going on, where are we?" Ember asked, seeming just as dazed and confused as I was.

"Don't be ridiculous, cats can't talk, that'd be a job for magic." I muttered to myself, I got up dusting myself off. The thought of leaving Ember alone with the mysterious voice crossed my mind. But if the voice was dangerous I didn't want her demise to be on my conscience.

"Ah, but who's to say what's real and what's not in this curious world of ours?" the voice retorts cryptically. "Perhaps it's not magic as you know it, but rather a different kind of wonder, a mystery that defies explanation."

I ignored the voice and gave Ember a hand helping her up. Something about this place wasn't right, at first glance it may have looked like a peaceful island resort, but then the stench of rotting corpses burned your nostrils. "Do you have any idea where we are?" she asked.

"Not a clue," I stated, "All my memories from before the last year are gone,"

"Same here, I suppose it would be best if we stick together being the only friends we have in this strange place, is each other," she stated as we began walking away from the voice who was rambling. I noted the glowing pendant around her neck and remembered how it seemed to react to the business card. She seemed unfazed by the smell.

"Has it ever done that before?" I asked, stopping abruptly in my tracks as a tall slender young man appeared before us. He flicked his cat-like tail and disappeared again.

"What in the Jabberwocky's left wing?" I began noting the man with catlike ears and tail that flicked back and forth making him go visible and invisible almost like he was toying with us.

"Are the ears real?" Ember asked.

"Certainly, Mademoiselle, but beware the purr-ils of such a daring endeavor. To stroke these ears is to dance with danger, to tempt fate's capricious whim. But if you dare to take the leap, who knows what secrets you might uncover in the depths of Wonderland's embrace?" The cat demon stated, I didn't understand his riddles but the way he was looking at Ember was hella sus.

He shot her a wink before crouching as if he was inviting her to pet him, "Are you sure it's okay?" She asked, reaching her hand out. I quickly positioned myself between them.

"I don't think it's a good idea to go touching people whose name you don't even know," I stated as Ember nodded, putting her hand down, "Now if you excuse us strange cat man monster thing, we'll be finding our way back home now."

"Home is where the heart finds rest, A sanctuary, a cozy nest. But wander far and you may find, Home is more than what's left behind," Cat boy began speaking in more riddles as I rolled my eyes. "In valleys deep or mountains tall, In whispers of the wind, you'll hear its call. For home is not a place, you see, But the journey itself, wild and free. So tell me, traveler, where do you roam? For in the heart of adventure lies your true home."

"I don't want your adventure, I want to find the spineless coward who killed my parents," I stated.

"Wait, your parents are dead?" Ember asked, stopping in her tracks.

"Cat guy I could use a bit of your annoying rambling now, this silence is suffocating."

"Once upon a time, in shadows deep, Two souls departed, took their eternal sleep. But hush now, don't shed a tear, For your parents, they're not here! Oh, what a tale of woe and gloom, But let's be honest, they met their doom. A legacy left, but what's the fuss? Your parents, they're not like us! So laugh if you will, at this sad refrain, For your parents, they're not here to complain. In the land of riddles, where truths are spun, Who's to say what's just fun?"

"I officially hate you," I stated, not liking the fact he made a riddle about my parents.

"I'm a shadow in the night, A thorn in your side, a constant blight. With every word, I bring you ire, A spark of frustration, a raging fire. You try to escape, but I'm always near, In your dreams, in your thoughts, I'm crystal clear. So tell me now, what's my name? In your world, I'll forever reign."

"Wait guys, what's that sound?" Ember asked as the sound of heavy footsteps and war cries were heard in the distance.

"In shadows deep, a princess lies, Beneath the gaze of watchful eyes. A crown forgotten, a throne unclaimed, But beware, for danger is named. In the palace halls, whispers abound, Of a queen's wrath, where truth is found. A royal secret, buried deep, But silence holds, where shadows creep. So heed this warning, in riddles spun, For in the game of thrones, battles are won. A princess lost, a queen's decree, But fate unfolds, in shadows free."

"Why the hell is he talking about a princess and war? What's that got to do with anything?"

"In darkness deep, a glow doth shine, A pendant's light, a sight divine. A beacon bright, in shadows cast, But what secrets lie, behind its mask? A gift bestowed, from ages past, A tale untold, meant to last. Its glow reveals, a hidden truth, But who can grasp its elusive sleuth? So ponder well, this radiant prize, In its glow, where wisdom lies. For in its light, the answers gleam, Unlocking mysteries, as in a dream."

"Oh for the love of the holy matron of catnip, HIDE!" A woman's voice commanded.