2.12

Marzda

September 8, 2014

A sharp pain jolts me out of bed just as a rush of water wets the sheets. I can't help the yell that escapes me and within moments Wanda and Pietro are beside me.

"What happened?" Pietro asks worriedly. "Where's the danger?"

Wanda smacks him lightly, "there isn't any danger, she's in labor."

"No," I tell her, suddenly terrified. "I'm not ready."

She folds me into a hug as she says, "you are ready though. I know you. You're strong, and right now you need to be strong. Not for yourself but for your daughter."

Another pain rips through me and the room shakes as I yell.

"Wanda," Pietro says slowly. "How are we going to hide an earthquake?"

"We aren't," she says. "Go get the bag that's under our bed."

He zips off as the house shakes again and in the distance I can make out a siren, "I should have stayed on the mainland," I tell her. "I'm going to sink this island."

"No you're not," she tells me firmly. "I know it hurts, I know you're scared, but you can do this. I know you can."

Pietro rushes back with red medical bag and hands it to Wanda who pulls out gloves and gowns, putting a set on before handing a set to Pietro. "Why do I need these?" He asks slowly.

"Because you're helping me you idiot," she tells him as another earthquake hits. "Marz, I need your pants off."

"At least.. buy a girl.. dinner first," I grit out as she gets my pants off.

"Yeah yeah ha ha," she says quickly. "Pietro get behind her and move her to the edge of the bed." He does as she says and in a moment I'm sitting on the very edge of the bed leaning back against him. "You ready to get to know each other really well?" She asks me.

Another contraction rips through me and I yell, "get this thing out of me!"

Wanda takes a deep breath before reaching between my legs, "ok I can feel the head. Ok, ok, yeah that's a head," she says repeatedly. "You've got this, we've seen all the seasons of Call the Midwife."

"Oh fuck you Natasha!" I scream as the biggest contraction rips through me. The building shakes again and dust rains down on us.

"Ok Marz I need you to push as hard as you can," Wanda tells me. "Lean on Pietro and push!"

"I can't," I cry. "I can't do this. It's not safe for her here."

"Listen to me," Wanda orders. "What place could be safer then surrounded by people with powers?"

"I want Natasha," I tell her. "I need her."

"And once this baby is out we can go get her," Wanda promises. "But if we don't get her out right now, her and this entire island will die."

"No, she can't!" I sob as I push.

"Good girl," Wanda tells me. "Give me another one!"

I push with all I have and I can hear Pietro groan as I almost break his hands but in an instant, my cries are replaced with another's. Falling back against him I watch as Wanda wraps my screaming baby in a blanket. "You have a daughter," she tells me as she hands her over.

I take her as another smaller pain pulses through me, "it still hurts."

"It's the placenta," she tells me. "It'll come soon and then it'll be over."

"She's pretty," Pietro says behind me as he looks over my shoulder. "Even if she is covered in gunk."

I look down at my daughters face. Her double irises stare back at me, the same green as Natasha's. Her thin hair looks red too, but maybe that's just from the blood that's still on her. I hope it is red though. A little mini Natasha. The thought makes me smile, "hello little one."

"Does she have a name?" Wanda asks, still kneeling between my legs.

"Olympia," I tell her. "After my grandmother. I'll leave the rest to Natasha, whenever we see her."

And we would see her, I realize. She needs to meet her daughter. She needs to know about her. She needs to know that she isn't alone and that she has a family, whether she wants one or not.