Fifteen

My eyes burn from how long I've been staring at the blank digital canvas. 

I've tried looking for inspiration on Pinterest like I usually do, but nothing has sparked an idea. Not any good ideas anyway. All my ingenuity has been directed towards my art class at school, and even then I have a hard time being creative.

I set down my light pink 'pen' when my phone buzzes. Multiple times. I pick it up and read the most recent texts in my friend group's groupchat.

Losers

Layla Du Pont: is anyone going to hoco?

Layla Du Pont: cuz if not, i was thinking...

Layla Du Pont: maybe we could ditch the dance together?

Layla Du Pont: we could to the mall

Layla Du Pont: and get food

Layla Du Pont: and go to the theaters

One thing about Layla is that she has to send her thoughts as they come to her. She can never send one long text. It's always a stream of conscience that blows up everyone's phones.

As I'm typing, someone else replies.

Lihn Chau: Yes to the movies!!!!

Lihn Chau: I still havent seen barbie or oppenheimer. Barbenheimer, anyone?

I've already seen Barbie five times. Another watch wouldn't hurt. In fact, one last girl's night is just what I need before my bi-annual disappearance from the world.

Me: Count me in.

Right after hitting send, I hear the door open downstairs. That's my cue.

I leave my phone in my room and make my way down into the living room where my dad and Lucas are now entering.

Ezra isn't with them.

"Did you guys lose?" I ask.

"Nope," Lucas says, pride coating his voice. "We won by four points."

My eyebrows pinch together in confusion. "Where's Ezra?"

They typically hang out on Fridays if they win their games. That's the only reason I'm asking. Though, there is a part of me that's curious due to the fact that Ezra and I haven't spoken much since Atlanta.

"He went to his house real quick," my brother replies as he walks past me and towards the stairs.

Dad is holding two fast food bags in his hands, trying not to drop them as Honey paws at his legs. "I see you, boy," he says to the dog. "Just let me– Honey! Out of the way."

"Here, I can grab them," I say, walking closer.

"Thanks."

I take the bags with me into the kitchen, setting them down on the island.

The smell of my favorite fries ever invades my nose, causing my stomach to rumble. I bring my carton of chicken nuggets, a packet of honey mustard, and a medium thing of fries with me over to the dining table.

"Dad!" I shout. "Did you get any drinks?"

"No! We have juice and water in the refrigerator."

A scowl forms on my face, but I quickly wipe it off when the guilt hits me a second later. There's people in this world without half the things that I have and I know I should be grateful. Although, I really wish I had a Dr. Pepper right now.

I sit down at the table and dig into my food without hesitation.

Eventually, my dad sits down with his food, eating while I tell him about my day. It's not until I'm all the way done with my fries and beginning to eat my chicken nuggets that there's a knock on the door.