|01| cotton, cotton candy

The fair on the last day of summer always made Riley sad

The fair on the last day of summer always made Riley sad. It was a depressing way to be reminded that she has to go back to her shitty school with their shitty traditions and their ultra shitty football team.

Walking around aimlessly with cotton candy on her hand, she spotted Josie and PJ entering the park, faces full of determination. "What are you two up to?" she came to a halt in front of them, making the two jump back in shock.

"Hey!" Josie said, startled. "Hi, Riley."

Riley crossed her arms, "How was your summer?"

"Just as boring as yours I'll bet." PJ said, crossing her arms as well but she looked less intimidating.

Riley raised an eyebrow, "Yeah? Did you two also volunteer at the kiddie summer camp with half the cheer team?"

Josie cleared her throat, "Speaking of cheer...are you still friends with Isabel? Just for— research..." she said awkwardly.

"I am. What kind of research? How to get laid before turning fifty?" Riley smirked.

"This is our year, Riley!" PJ exploded, excitedly. "We're getting in the puss this year, we're fully developed now."

Riley bit her lip to keep her laugh in. "You've said that every year, PJ."

"Yeah well...this year we mean it. Right Josie?"

Josie nodded her head, albeit distracted. The two girls turned to look over and noticed she was staring at Isabel who was standing beside Brittany. Riley felt bad for her friends, she really did, she knew how smitten they two were but unfortunately, Josie is oblivious as hell and PJ had no shot with Brittany, what's so ever.

Before Riley could say anything, the three were snapped out of their daydream by Hazel Callahan who had jumped in front of the three. "Hey guys." a smile tugged at her lips.

"Hi Hazel." Riley and Josie said. Riley is proud of herself for saying anything at all.

Ever since she had discovered that dick wasn't cutting it out anymore, Riley came out as bisexual their Junior year and unlike Josie and PJ who were deemed 'untalented and ugly', she wasn't actually untalented. She was on the cheer team alongside Brittany and Isabel. Anyway, after she realized she liked girls, she developed a major crush on Hazel. She was cute and ditzy and based on the few conversations they've had, she seemed to be a better person than PJ, which was a big win if anyone knew her.

"Ugh, hey, Hazel. How was your summer? Were you with your uncle at the slop farm?" PJ asked. The way she worded it made Riley queasy.

"If you mean volunteering at the National Meat Association, yeah, it was good." Hazel snapped back, "What are you guys doing here? You guys never come to the fair." She asked, looking between the three of them. She grinned.