17

i woke up by myself. i frowned, but saw a note next to my bed. i read it out loud, "avery, i'm sorry i had to leave you alone this morning. i promised luke to getting breakfast together before i slept over. i left you some medicine, my sweatshirt, and water on your side table. i hope you get well soon baby. love, jack."

my heart felt like it was going to melt because of this boy. i was a little annoyed that he left me by myself, but this note and what he left me made up for it. i took off my pjs and put on a pair of spandex and his hoodie. it smelled beautiful, like him. vanilla and cinnamon might be my new favorite scent.

—————

downstairs, i saw isaac in the kitchen making himself breakfast. "hey avery, how was your sleepover with jack?" he turned to me. "it was good, but he left to go have breakfast with luke." i opened the fridge, "also, who's sweatshirt is that? mine or alex's?"

"okay um, well... it's actually jacks." i gave him a look that said 'please be okay with it'. he smiled, "i know i'm supposed to be the 'protective older brother', but i'm really happy for you. even since you stopped dating landon, i feel like you haven't really found the person who made you happy." he pulled me in, and hugged me.

i've never really seen this side of isaac. i've always seen his hockey, 'rough boy' act recently. i guess that what i expected when he joined the nhl. i took advantage of this moment, i smiled with my chin on his shoulder. he's always been the nice older brother to me, but we definitely weren't as close as me and scarlet, or me and alex.

it was nice to have an older brother that i could trust now. we both pulled away, "hey, i'm gonna go shower, love you bye." isaac walked away. i looked into the fridge and saw literally nothing except for pasta leftovers. no way i was eating that. i ran upstairs and took the medicine jack put out for me.

i also applied deodorant and i was going to apply perfume, but realized i don't need it. the smell of the cologne on this hoodie is good enough. i slid on socks and my uggs and grabbed my keys.

i walked downstairs and headed towards my car. i hopped in and turned on my radio. i headed towards starbucks with frank ocean, sza, and taylor swift playing in the background.

—————

i arrived and got out of my car. i walked inside to see quinn sitting inside, alone, with his coffee in one hand and his phone in the other. i took this as an opportunity to surprise him. i snuck up behind and slapped my hands on his shoulders. "what the fuck" he whisper talked.

he turned around and saw me, "oh phew, its just you avery. i actually thought you were a crazy person." he smiled. "order and come sit with me." i walked away and ordered like he said. the same barista i saw last time i was here by myself was here.

"hey, what can i get you?" he looked up and saw me, i knew he would try to get my number again. "hi.. can i get a venti iced vanilla latte with oat milk?" he tapped on his screen, "of course, anything else?" he looked up at me.

"can i also get a ham and swiss croissant?" he tapped his screen again, "anything else, pretty girl?" i swallowed, "no that's it." i felt very comfortable, but i get it, i mean he doesn't know i dont like him, or that i'm.. actually i dont know what i am with jack. if we are anything.

what if he thinks we just friends and-. i was cut off, "hello miss? would you like to pay with cash or card?" i snapped out of my thoughts, "sorry. um, cash." i pulled out 15 dollars from my pocket. "keep the change." i walked back to where quinn was sitting. "have a nice day, pretty girl." i heard faintly.

that name gave me chills hearing it from some random baristas mouth. "hey avery, i saw you up there. what happened?" i sat down across from him.

"well nothing really happened. he called me pretty girl twice, and i just felt uncomfortable. i zoned out, and the whole mood changed from there." i whisper talked, because i knew that the man would hear me, if i talked normally. "i mean it's whatever. some guys are just creeps like that." he said, "anyways, who would you feel comfortable around if they called you pretty girl?" i shot a look at him.